2003 Yukon won’t accelerate past 3,000rpm and chokes/sputters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rshann5355

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all,

I’m having an issue on my 2003 Yukon that seems to be fuel related. The truck had all the seals redone in the motor not too long ago, holds great oil pressure and runs smooth, but I’m unable to accelerate past maybe 1/4 throttle. The truck will sputter and back fire, and it gets worse the lower the fuel gauge gets. I’m also unable to fill the truck all the way, it’s been filling up on 17 gallons at most. Any ideas?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
First: Welcome to the forum.

Second: Basics first. Sounds like two problems. When you experience the sputtering problem, or even before that, loosen the fuel cap and see what happens. Do you have any CEL? It does sound like starving for fuel and if so is likely fuel pump related but needs a fuel pressure test and report findings here. You can likely get an auto parts place to attach a fuel pressure gauge and get a reading or you can rent the tool and then you watch you tube video(s) to see how it is done. You may have a kinked fill tube at the fuel tank or did the filling it with fuel problem start at the same time that the sputtering problem started? Was any work done JUST BEFORE the sputtering problem and fuel fill problems started? Anyway, need some basic info.

OP
OP
R

Rshann5355

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First: Welcome to the forum.

Second: Basics first. Sounds like two problems. When you experience the sputtering problem, or even before that, loosen the fuel cap and see what happens. Do you have any CEL? It does sound like starving for fuel and if so is likely fuel pump related but needs a fuel pressure test and report findings here. You can likely get an auto parts place to attach a fuel pressure gauge and get a reading or you can rent the tool and then you watch you tube video(s) to see how it is done. You may have a kinked fill tube at the fuel tank or did the filling it with fuel problem start at the same time that the sputtering problem started? Was any work done JUST BEFORE the sputtering problem and fuel fill problems started? Anyway, need some basic info.

Unfortunately, I’m unsure quite how long it’s been going on, I just know that it has been going on before the work was done to the truck. The truck was my best friend’s and also used for “mudding” a good bit, but I’m setting aside some time tomorrow to get a fuel pressure test done and I plan on dropping the tank this weekend to clean everything up. I will say that the truck has 0 issues starting, and runs fairly fine at idle. It does smell strongly of fuel most of the time as well.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This info is very helpful. I would suspect a leak, possibly near the fuel tank, either a feed line from the tank or at top area of tank. The mud use can come in to play here. No telling what has been loaded up with mud causing problem or hit with mud or whatever was in the mud. May be getting enough feed thru the line that allows start and idle but not enough fuel for acceleration. The fill fuel area could also be altered because of the mudding. The way I understand you, either it had problems when the other owner had it and then work was done, maybe trying to address the existing problem but was unsuccessful and you took the rig from the PO anyway? Right? If so, why was the work done trying to seal the truck and did not address the fuel problem at the same time? Something about this story does not make sense. Also, in the future, especially when asking for help, do not leave out details like this.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Do you have a bi-directional scanner (Tech 2 or equivalent)? Do you know someone who has one? Diagnosing this issue would be MUCH simpler if you had access to one.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel Filter. Drivers side chassis frame rail. Change it! As far as fuel tank not filling all the way up, that is a separate problem. Likely your vent system is the problem. After both of those are cleared up, strong fuel smell is likely bad Oring on top of fuel tank unless the smell is coming from the exhaust.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when the tank wont fill right, or clicks off like its full repeatedly as you fill it, thats the charcoal canister. its pellets broke free and are clogging up a vent line. or the level sender is broken and wont read full anymore or shows empty when its got a 1/4 tank.

if the cel flashes the cats could be clogged up, or it needs a tune up bad. like last year bad.

id still check the f/p like others stated. most parts stores do a free rental. you leave a deposit on the tool and they refund it back when you drop it back off. free test first always before just throwing parts at it. also scan it when at the parts store, the cel light may be burnt out so you wont know if theres codes or not with out scanning it. key to run engine off shows all the dummy lights. make sure the cel is lit up. aka then you know its working. id still scan it running after it acts up. if its setting a pending code it will clear when you turn off the engine.

OP
OP
R

Rshann5355

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all so much, sorry it took so long to get back to you all as I’ve been at work. A few more details, sorry I’m leaving things out, but the truck will drive down the road. I can take it to work and back, the issue just gets worse the lower it gets on fuel. The truck had all the seals redone (including the rear main) when it was in the shop, and I do have a scanner that can read it. I have to replace a fuse as my cigarette lighter and OBD2 port are not working, but I’m hoping it’s that easy of a fix. I’ll be replacing the fuel filter on Saturday to see if this helps the issue as well. Picture of truck currently is attached. 110F0479-35D2-43AC-BC6F-6F5104EC1331.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali