2003 Yukon General Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wings720

Reaction score
Hey Y'all I just picked up an '03 Yukon Denali. I bought it in Burlington,Vermont but luckily its a California car that I saved from certain death by salt. It had 123k when I bought it and its got roughly 126k now. What kind of General Maintenance should I be doing? Tried to search but didn't have much luck. Any insight appreciated. Also any cool mods or tricks would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• IMG_1219.jpeg
    IMG_1219.jpeg
    420.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1438.jpeg
    IMG_1438.jpeg
    957.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1195.jpeg
    IMG_1195.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 66388947365__DD3CB1AC-7638-4DC1-AED4-C7D43E6F9D38.jpeg
    66388947365__DD3CB1AC-7638-4DC1-AED4-C7D43E6F9D38.jpeg
    429.1 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
W

Wings720

Reaction score
It's also de-badged and I initially thought I got scammed and this wasn't a Denali. Lol

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Get to a known starting point

Change all fluids
- Coolant
- oil
- trans fluid. Not a bad idea to drop the pan and change filter / clean magnets
- tcase fluid
- diff fluid (lubelocker gaskets are great)
- power steering fluid
- brake fluid

Inspect filters
- engine air filter
- cabin filter, if equipped

- Pop the heater core hoses out of the bracket, remove the bracket, then grab your engine oil fill riser and turn it counter clockwise. Peek inside the valve cover to see what, if any buildup/varnishing exists. Some varnish is fine - will look like a light brown coating. Anything chunky / thick / flaky looking - run short oil intervals until it cleans up. Don't bother with flush products. Just change it more often and let the oil do its thing.

- Take off belts, inspect idlers / pulleys / tensioners. Check water pump, alt, power steering pump.

- honestly wouldn't be a bad idea to just replace the fan clutch a part of the 'known good starting point'

- Verify a/c works or even better - take it to a shop for an evac/recharge so you know the fill is good

- change wipers. Or at least inspect them

- Make sure windshield washer fluid is windshield washer fluid and not water. That grows mold and makes the whole system gross

- Hook up a code reader, make sure nothing's pending. Check long term fuel trims. Anything deviating from +/- 10% is indicative of a vacuum leak. Usually on these rigs, it's intake gaskets

- Go through the underside of the vehicle and check for any fluid leaks. At a minimum, know what you need to keep topped up. Else find a path forward to fix it

- Make sure your defrost wires work. Rear window and both side mirrors

- Check all lights

- Check tire pressures

- Make sure your parking brake works. These rigs are notorious for de-laminating the parking brake shoes

General maintenance schedule.... At least the one I follow
- Oil change every 1-5k, depending on short trips / idle time. Somewhat arbitrary. I don't pay any attention to the built in monitor. Slap a code reader on there and see if anything's pending.
- Annually - change engine and cabin filters, brake fluid, p/s fluid, drain/fill trans pan, change my aftermarket inline trans filter and power steering filter. Rotate tires, manually verify 4wd/lo works. Check belts, check for fluid leaks, load test alternator and battery. You have a fan clutch on your rig - check this as well.
- Every 2 years - diff fluid, transfer case fluid, hook up pressure gauge to a/c ports and verify it's in spec
- Every 4 - change coolant (disconnect your lower radiator hose and heater core lines. Refill from the upper radiator hose)

Suggested addons:
- Trucool 40k transmission cooler
- PCV catch can - keeps the intake clean
- Reject oil-soaked (K&N) filters. Paper is desirable here
- I have a magnefine filter on both my power steering return line, and trans cooler line. It's installed on the hard line between radiator and external cooler. I heated up my intake and made a little divot so it clears and nothing rubs. Can post pics if needed.

For the varnish bit I mentioned above

Normal:
1645581043046.png

Change more often:
1645581109115.png

Drop your oil pan, valve covers, valley pan, clean up manually:

1645581183606.png

OP
OP
W

Wings720

Reaction score
Awesome. Thank you. That should keep me busy for a week or so! Will report back with pictures. What intake would you suggest? Just keeping it stock?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Nice looking truck! Love that color! Alsoy grandparents lived 20 minutes from Burlington. Know that whole area quite well!

ratled

Reaction score
This is the list I'm working off for my new to me/100k service. Just hit 120,000. I am going through snow drifters list since he just posted it for you too (its should be a separate thread and pinned in the engine section!)

Intake and cabin air filters DONE
New Cooper AT3S tires DONE
Front diff fluid change DONE
Rear diff fluid change DONE
Transfer case fluid change DONE
New Spark Plugs & wires DONE
New Front bump stops DONE
MAF & Throttle body clean DONE
Power Steering fluid flush DONE
Radiator system flush & clean DONE
New water pump DONE
New AC belt DONE
New Serpentine belt DONE
New Transmission filter
L/O/F & oil pan gasket

OP
OP
W

Wings720

Reaction score
Its nice up there. I get up that way a few times a year for skiing but mostly stick to Southern VT. I wanted a black one originally but my winter beater at the time ('99XJ) ate a heater core and has needed a rear main seal since summer. I had an '05 4runner but I gave that to my mom to drive. The color is growing on me though. Unsure if I should get black, chrome or leave no badges.

OP
OP
W

Wings720

Reaction score
This is the list I'm working off for my new to me/100k service. Just hit 120,000. I am going through snow drifters list since he just posted it for you too (its should be a separate thread and pinned in the engine section!)

Intake and cabin air filters DONE
New Cooper AT3S tires DONE
Front diff fluid change DONE
Rear diff fluid change DONE
Transfer case fluid change DONE
New Spark Plugs & wires DONE
New Front bump stops DONE
MAF & Throttle body clean DONE
Power Steering fluid flush DONE
Radiator system flush & clean DONE
New water pump DONE
New AC belt DONE
New Serpentine belt DONE
New Transmission filter
L/O/F & oil pan gasket
Awesome. The only "issue" I've noticed so far is my hydro boost weeping a bit. Definitely want to get started on this though as I'll have to start working for real again come mid April. Been really enjoying the 40hr weeks.

Did you buy most of this at a local parts store or source online?

OP
OP
W

Wings720

Reaction score
The only things I've done so far are;
-BOSS 10ACP touch screen w/carplay
-Oil Change
-Coolant drain and replace
-Inspect brakes
-New Rims and Tires (3 of the old rims leaked air and tires were at 30%...Got a set of 20" AT4's w/goodyear wrangles for 1k I think that was a steal.

OP
OP
W

Wings720

Reaction score
Get to a known starting point

Change all fluids
- Coolant
- oil
- trans fluid. Not a bad idea to drop the pan and change filter / clean magnets
- tcase fluid
- diff fluid (lubelocker gaskets are great)
- power steering fluid
- brake fluid

Inspect filters
- engine air filter
- cabin filter, if equipped

- Pop the heater core hoses out of the bracket, remove the bracket, then grab your engine oil fill riser and turn it counter clockwise. Peek inside the valve cover to see what, if any buildup/varnishing exists. Some varnish is fine - will look like a light brown coating. Anything chunky / thick / flaky looking - run short oil intervals until it cleans up. Don't bother with flush products. Just change it more often and let the oil do its thing.

- Take off belts, inspect idlers / pulleys / tensioners. Check water pump, alt, power steering pump.

- honestly wouldn't be a bad idea to just replace the fan clutch a part of the 'known good starting point'

- Verify a/c works or even better - take it to a shop for an evac/recharge so you know the fill is good

- change wipers. Or at least inspect them

- Make sure windshield washer fluid is windshield washer fluid and not water. That grows mold and makes the whole system gross

- Hook up a code reader, make sure nothing's pending. Check long term fuel trims. Anything deviating from +/- 10% is indicative of a vacuum leak. Usually on these rigs, it's intake gaskets

- Go through the underside of the vehicle and check for any fluid leaks. At a minimum, know what you need to keep topped up. Else find a path forward to fix it

- Make sure your defrost wires work. Rear window and both side mirrors

- Check all lights

- Check tire pressures

- Make sure your parking brake works. These rigs are notorious for de-laminating the parking brake shoes

General maintenance schedule.... At least the one I follow
- Oil change every 1-5k, depending on short trips / idle time. Somewhat arbitrary. I don't pay any attention to the built in monitor. Slap a code reader on there and see if anything's pending.
- Annually - change engine and cabin filters, brake fluid, p/s fluid, drain/fill trans pan, change my aftermarket inline trans filter and power steering filter. Rotate tires, manually verify 4wd/lo works. Check belts, check for fluid leaks, load test alternator and battery. You have a fan clutch on your rig - check this as well.
- Every 2 years - diff fluid, transfer case fluid, hook up pressure gauge to a/c ports and verify it's in spec
- Every 4 - change coolant (disconnect your lower radiator hose and heater core lines. Refill from the upper radiator hose)

Suggested addons:
- Trucool 40k transmission cooler
- PCV catch can - keeps the intake clean
- Reject oil-soaked (K&N) filters. Paper is desirable here
- I have a magnefine filter on both my power steering return line, and trans cooler line. It's installed on the hard line between radiator and external cooler. I heated up my intake and made a little divot so it clears and nothing rubs. Can post pics if needed.

For the varnish bit I mentioned above

Normal:
View attachment 364020

Change more often:
View attachment 364021

Drop your oil pan, valve covers, valley pan, clean up manually:

View attachment 364022
Which Catch Can would you recommend and what intake?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE