2003 Tahoe starts.... and dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess im the only one not too lazy to type Fuel Pressure Regulator. Really.

And a bad fuel pump and/or fuel pressure regulator would stick out like a sore thumb when you stick a damn fuel pressure gauge on the rail.

Yes young padawan. You will learn quickly that a lot of newbies aren't going to have much experience with any type of gauge, let alone a fuel pressure gauge. Unfortunately we need to resort to jedi mind reading. Caution. It can be lethal in some instances!

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes young padawan. You will learn quickly that a lot of newbies aren't going to have much experience with any type of gauge, let alone a fuel pressure gauge. Unfortunately we need to resort to jedi mind reading. Caution. It can be lethal in some instances!
Im guessing my original star wars figures that I got in 1977 when I was 6 are older than you are...and yet you are trying the star wars lingo with ME. Thats almost laughable.
If any given person doesnt know how to operate a fuel pressure gauge, find a youtube vid on it or even where or how to find the schrader valve on the fuel rail then they probably shouldnt be working on their own vehicle.

OP
OP
B

brasil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that a temp sensor could be involved... For example if the coolant temp sensor shows 30 deg F but in the reality the outside temp is around 75 deg F then the ECU "thinks " the engine is ICECOLD and throws a lot of fuel into the engine. So at the end the engine is flooded. And the only possibibility to get the car runnin again - is to use the PEDAL TO THE METAL procedure.... while cranking the the engine for 2-5 sek for a couple of times. After some minutes the engine starts... and runs as if nothing happend.
And again the "mistake /Error " only occurs when the engine is cold. When the engine just ran...or is warm /hot no issues

Greeetings Juergen

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that a temp sensor could be involved... For example if the coolant temp sensor shows 30 deg F but in the reality the outside temp is around 75 deg F then the ECU "thinks " the engine is ICECOLD and throws a lot of fuel into the engine. So at the end the engine is flooded. And the only possibibility to get the car runnin again - is to use the PEDAL TO THE METAL procedure.... while cranking the the engine for 2-5 sek for a couple of times. After some minutes the engine starts... and runs as if nothing happend.
And again the "mistake /Error " only occurs when the engine is cold. When the engine just ran...or is warm /hot no issues

Greeetings Juergen

Would the ECM not then look at the IAT and default the coolant temp to its last known good reading. Then set a code for ECT sensor error and stay in open loop?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the ECM not then look at the IAT and default the coolant temp to its last known good reading. Then set a code for ECT sensor error and stay in open loop?
I dont believe so. I seem to remember this ECT Temp Sensor causing this same issue in the past on a K chassis. The PCM has no way to tell if the ECT is reporting a correct value or not. Now it might enter a default value if it wasnt getting any sensor data or possibly an extreme negative/positive value(-100 deg or 150deg) Easiest way to tell is hookup a scanner and see what value is being reported to the PCM.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont believe so. I seem to remember this ECT Temp Sensor causing this same issue in the past on a K chassis. The PCM has no way to tell if the ECT is reporting a correct value or not. Now it might enter a default value if it wasnt getting any sensor data or possibly an extreme negative/positive value(-100 deg or 150deg) Easiest way to tell is hookup a scanner and see what value is being reported to the PCM.

Sorry but that's incorrect. PCM/ECM's actually do have the capabilities of determining if the ECT input data is fouled or the circuit is faulty. There are checks and balances that are done to verify readings from sensors that throw up red flags.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia