2003 Tahoe Moving to Cold Weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave68

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 2003 Tahoe with 193000 miles and original transmission. Its lived its entire life in warm/mild weather California and has been taken care of (regular oil changes and transmission servicing etc.). Not currently my daily driver but I do drive it some every week. I've towed a boat and SeaDoo with it a few times but otherwise it has not seen much rough service.

I'm considering taking it to Utah for a year long job. I wondering how it will do in a cold climate and if there is anything I should do to get it ready for that change? I would probably drive it a few days a week there.

Anyone here with a similar experience?

Thanks

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably just a coolant/antifreeze replacement if you haven't done so within the life of it.

Windshield washer for the colder temperatures.

Battery check.

That's about it.

My 06 suburban has a factory engine block heater. I haven't figured out how that got optioned, as it seems like it's been here all it's life (N. Texas.) That's more common as an option in the colder climates. I don't use it, even though we occasionally have hit single digits in our short winter cold snaps.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My 06 suburban has a factory engine block heater. I haven't figured out how that got optioned, as it seems like it's been here all it's life (N. Texas.) That's more common as an option in the colder climates. I don't use it, even though we occasionally have hit single digits in our short winter cold snaps.

If you have an OE block heater the 110v wire and plug runs down the driver's side of the radiator support. Plug can be seen from underneath the truck, unless it's been moved or used. From what I've read, it doesn't work until it's 0°F. I don't use mine in Colorado.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What has been recommended about the fluids is all I can also agree with. Especially the coolant and washer fluid. What kind and weight of oil do you use?

Welcome to your first post in almost 8 years as a member.

Did you join in 2015 on a bet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz