2003 Tahoe cabin air filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just purchased a 2003 Tahoe z71 with 178k miles.

The air doesn't seam to blow to hard. It barely gets cool. The heat works better but also doesn't blow very hard.

I thought maybe the cabin air filter could be dirty/clogged and changing it could make a difference.

I've done some research and can't come up with a straight answer wether the 2003 model year has one or not.

I'm reading that 2002 was the last year equipped with them, then some saying 2003 was last year and some saying that some 2003 had them and some didn't and then starting in 04 did not have them for sure.

I would just try to get to in and look for myself but can't find my tools for the job. Any help would be appreciated

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so this is really easy to check. Passenger side, take the three bolts out of the cover underneath the passage wheel well. Once you get it down, you will have access to all. You will need access to all as there is a whole buch of things that can go wrong. If you have the the cabin filter, you can follow the blow motor towards the center of the truck, you will see the screws to take the plastic cover off to drop them out. Search You tube, lots of video's. I forget which year GM took these away, but these were great to have, and so naturally they took them out. Now, once your down there, you have other things you can check down there. Is your heat coming out of all of the vents when you have heat selected? All the vents working? They are motors in there the direct this, and they can fail. It's also a good time to clean all of the debris that gets down there.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2002 was the last year for the filters. They were eliminated in 2003 models.