2002 Tahoe Front Bump Stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfer454

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The other day I noticed what was left of my front bump stop under my 2002 tahoe. The bump stop cup is corroded and came off while i was poking around. That cup seems to be a welded on part. Any ideas on how to replace the cup? I really don't want to ride around without the bump stops. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Is it a 2wd or 4wd?

Look like this? https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10370532&cc=1380372&jsn=911

Or this: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10371540&cc=1380372&jsn=913

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

OP
OP
S

Surfer454

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response. It is a 4WD Tahoe. The bump stop looks like 2nd picture (like a beehive). This is the passenger side. Notice there's no bumper stop cup20200801_193629.jpg
For comparison, this is the driver side
20200801_193718.jpg

I updated my signature, but for some reason i cant add a picture of my RPO Codes, but the picture is in my media album:
Surfer454 2002 Tahoe LS 4WD

OP
OP
S

Surfer454

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, a lot of rust underneath. Salty NE roads in the winter, salty air year round living near the ocean. This tahoe is a great truck. At 233K miles everything works and it runs great. Unfortunately I think the rust from underneath is going to be what does it in.

What is the downside if I continue to drive the tahoe without the front bump stops? I don't go off road with it

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The bump stop is there for extreme deflection if the suspension travel exceeds normal driving. I was told once that they also were designed to actually touch all the time for better stability. I always thought a bump stop was for what I just said but sometimes if you ask 3 people's opinions you get three answers that are all different. If if drives ok, don't worry about it. Others here may have other recommendations for you though.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157