2002 brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DC13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all, I’ve had this 2002 Tahoe LS for almost 2 years. I did the brakes (rotors/pads/fluid) when I first got it in May 2016. Nothing fancy. October 2017, I was driving with my family and the brake pedal went to the floor on the highway. No pressure whatsoever. It was late & I was about 70 miles from home. Well, we managed to get home safely. I took it to a local Firestone auto care the next morning. They told me I had multiple leaks in the system. Ended up replacing multiple brake lines & 2 calipers. Everything was good after that. Until I lost my brakes again in January (luckily, by myself this time). Took it back to them. They said something they repaired didn’t hold up, so they fixed it free of charge ( as they should). Everything was good. Till about an hour ago. Same thing all over again. My question is this. Is there a component they should be checking that could be the root cause of these failures? On the previous trips to the shop I was told the master cylinder was good, but is there something else? ABS pump maybe?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my guess is they are using compression fittings on patched up rotted lines and the fitting is blowing off the old line.

time to replace them probably. you'll need to get under the truck and look at their work and the condition of the lines to know for sure.

OP
OP
D

DC13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, they told me they replace lines the first & second time. Cost me a bundle the first time. I’ll look into it though. Heading back there in the morning. Thanks.

my guess is they are using compression fittings on patched up rotted lines and the fitting is blowing off the old line.

time to replace them probably. you'll need to get under the truck and look at their work and the condition of the lines to know for sure.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have them show you whats new and whats blowing open, if it keeps failing they are are doing something wrong, or other lines are blowing out.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get you some stainless brake lines, a motive brake bleeder and some fluid. It's not rocket science. I was gonna say the first issue is Firestone. They are at the top of shops I don't use. I just did a complete brake job on my 00 Hoe and the hardest part was painting the calipers. Messing up something as simple as a brake job means you are not qualified to be a mechanic.

They need to show you exactly what failed and what they fixed last time. I'm not sure they could have installed incorrectly other than the pads or they put the wrong length lines up front. They are a lot longer than the rear. Curious to see what they give you.

Are you in the rust belt by chance?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

DC13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m in the NY/NJ tri state.
I’ll be sure to have them show me what’s giving them an issue this time. When I brought it the last time, they said the new lines they installed went, so they replaced them again. I’m curious to see if it’s the same ones.

Get you some stainless brake lines, a motive brake bleeder and some fluid. It's not rocket science. I was gonna say the first issue is Firestone. They are at the top of shops I don't use. I just did a complete brake job on my 00 Hoe and the hardest part was painting the calipers. Messing up something as simple as a brake job means you are not qualified to be a mechanic.

They need to show you exactly what failed and what they fixed last time. I'm not sure they could have installed incorrectly other than the pads or they put the wrong length lines up front. They are a lot longer than the rear. Curious to see what they give you.

Are you in the rust belt by chance?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667