2001 Tahoe Steering Stabilizer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobsterSF

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Needed some front end work performed on my 2001 Tahoe which has a suspension lift. I typically rely on 4 Wheel Parts in Oakland, CA for repairs of this nature. I mentioned to the repair tech I may need to replace the dual stabilizer as it’s really old and I can tell it’s not doing the job anymore. He proceeded to tell me the 2001 Tahoe cannot support a front stabilizer of any kind and if it was worn out he would simply pull it off during the repairs and not replace it. What??? A few questions…

Does a stock 2001 Tahoe ship with factory dual stabilizer?

if not is it safe to assume this was installed as part of the lift kit or an aftermarket add on possibly not part of the lift kit?

Has anyone ever heard that you cannot install a stabilizer on a 2001 Tahoe?

The statement the repair tech made sounds completely wrong hence looking to the forum for a sanity check.

Also if I was going to replace the stabilizer can I simply use a bolt on product from anyone, like Rancho for example, or would I need to source a replacement from the manufacturer of the lift kit assuming it was even part of the kit to begin with?

Cheers

Rob

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Your tech sounds like he shouldnt be working on your rig.No it does not come from the factory with one it should but doesnt.Yes when you put a lift kit or bigger tires its a good idea to install one-helps alot.You can install any universal brand maybe just put on new what your taking off.If you have large tires and a lift kit and your at highway speeds and you hit a pot hole-you better have a firm grip on your wheel or you might be in the other lane quickly.

OP
OP
R

RobsterSF

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You totally nailed it!! As the stabilizer got older and older it became so much more difficult to control on the highway in turns a d when taking a good bump. Gonna get a new one installed ASAP? Side note check this out. Just after leaving the shop a day later I needed to pull a U turn. Could barley pull it off then this happened. That’s just from making a U turn. Can you believe that?94CE722D-2D73-4B75-9A02-D67711B3F383.jpeg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To me that doesn't look like it happened recently.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
You totally nailed it!! As the stabilizer got older and older it became so much more difficult to control on the highway in turns a d when taking a good bump. Gonna get a new one installed ASAP? Side note check this out. Just after leaving the shop a day later I needed to pull a U turn. Could barley pull it off then this happened. That’s just from making a U turn. Can you believe that?View attachment 291380
Looks like it pulled out of the shock thats bad.I just looked under mine i installed roughly 3 months ago and noticed the dam rubbers are shot already.I will be calling kyb monday to either get new ones which seems stupid or look for poly bushings to replace them with.Sad cant last 3 months without deteriorating.Anyone no of some poly bushings i can use to replace this junk rubber.Would it just be a regular shock bushing

Attachments

• kyb stabilizer 030.JPG
    kyb stabilizer 030.JPG
    316.5 KB · Views: 14
  • kyb stabilizer 034.JPG
    kyb stabilizer 034.JPG
    298.6 KB · Views: 14

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Well i got no where with kyb couldnt even find a phone number for customer service.Finnaly tracked it down after i emailed them.Nothing they can do they said to call the place were i bought it.I said i only want dimensions of bushing they had no idea what they are.So i measured and found the closet i could get today.1 1/4 od with 3/8 id and 7/8 nipple-i need a 5/8 nipple but could only find these untill i get the right ones from energy suspension next week.This will work,old ones felt like cardboard crumbling.I sent kyb tech support pictures they said it was because they were over tightened total joke.I bought the stabilizer online from home depot i no lol-called them they credited me the money back instantly no questions asked. thanks kyb for the free stabilizer.

Attachments

• stabilizer bushings 067.JPG
    stabilizer bushings 067.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 6
  • stabilizer bushings 072.JPG
    stabilizer bushings 072.JPG
    686.2 KB · Views: 6
  • stabilizer bushings 064.JPG
    stabilizer bushings 064.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 6

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i got no where with kyb couldnt even find a phone number for customer service.Finnaly tracked it down after i emailed them.Nothing they can do they said to call the place were i bought it.I said i only want dimensions of bushing they had no idea what they are.So i measured and found the closet i could get today.1 1/4 od with 3/8 id and 7/8 nipple-i need a 5/8 nipple but could only find these untill i get the right ones from energy suspension next week.This will work,old ones felt like cardboard crumbling.I sent kyb tech support pictures they said it was because they were over tightened total joke.I bought the stabilizer online from home depot i no lol-called them they credited me the money back instantly no questions asked. thanks kyb for the free stabilizer.
What the heck!?! I’m inspecting mine early in the morning! Thanks for posting this

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
No problem these are the correct size nipple for replacement of the junk rubber that come with the kyb stabilizer-even their washers didnt fit their own nipples on the rubber.

Attachments

• juice leaking 018.JPG
    juice leaking 018.JPG
    437.3 KB · Views: 7

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem these are the correct size nipple for replacement of the junk rubber that come with the kyb stabilizer-even their washers didnt fit their own nipples on the rubber.
Thanks for that p/n. I have that stabilizer on my 02 and the bushings are in about in need of replacing. They’ve been on 2-3 years. I just ordered them on Amazon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e