2001 Tahoe Radio Volume Not Adjusting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TheEnder53

Reaction score
Just as an update, I checked all the fuses (both in cabin and in engine bay) and there aren’t any blown fuses. I’m going to check and see if there’s sound coming out of the middle console aux ports as i’ve heard if there isn’t that that would most likely be indicative of a bad radio.

There’s an aux cord in the middle console under the fold down trim, hooked it up to my old phone with an aux port and attempted to play something, to no avail. Radio didn’t do anything when i hit AUX on it.

I guess next step would be to check voltages, kind of a novice at that so it worries me a bit. The truck does have an aftermarket alarm system on it, and also has aftermarket (i think) displays in the headrests of the drivers/passengers seats.

I’d really love to get the sound system working, as well, it’s a bit annoying having to play music over a crappy phone speaker, haha. Wish everyone well today!

OP
OP
T

TheEnder53

Reaction score
Whelp, after the 3AM urge to fix things came in, i decided to take out the radio and here’s what i found. I think this might be the cause of my issues, only way to tell is to delve in later tomorrow into this rats nest and test voltages.

I would really like some help if at all possible as i am very new to that, though.

Attachments

• IMG_8123.jpeg
    IMG_8123.jpeg
    342.4 KB · Views: 6

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s quite a hack job back there that someone did. That black box is not factory. Looks like an AUX adapter. I also see someone added an in-line fuse in that yellow holder attached to the red wire. Have you checked if that fuse is good? No idea what it’s for, but may as well rule that out too.

Is your radio factory? It sounds like a lot of rigging may have been done as you mentioned you have screens in the back of the headrests… those would be aftermarket as GM never offered a video system like that.

OP
OP
T

TheEnder53

Reaction score
That’s quite a hack job back there that someone did. That black box is not factory. Looks like an AUX adapter. I also see someone added an in-line fuse in that yellow holder attached to the red wire. Have you checked if that fuse is good? No idea what it’s for, but may as well rule that out too.

Is your radio factory? It sounds like a lot of rigging may have been done as you mentioned you have screens in the back of the headrests… those would be aftermarket as GM never offered a video system like that.
Fuse is good, plugged the OEM connector back into the radio and still no sound from the speakers.

The radio is OEM, i haven’t dug further into it yet as i had to get my other truck (what i call project paperweight) out of the driveway so i can start work on the Tahoe.

I’m going to remove all the butchered wiring stuff and see where i can go from there. The aux cables seem to have been cut and have duct tape covering the exposed wires.

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have the Bose radio right? I know in my rig, there is a Bose amplifier that must receive the signal to turn on, otherwise no sound.

OP
OP
T

TheEnder53

Reaction score
You don't have the Bose radio right? I know in my rig, there is a Bose amplifier that must receive the signal to turn on, otherwise no sound.
I don’t think so, no. I know if i look up the vin on the chevy vin decoder thing it comes up with the premium 9 speaker with amp sound system though.

OP
OP
T

TheEnder53

Reaction score
Looking more at some forum posts i want to test and see if the amplifier is bad. How would i go about doing that? Is there any way to test and see if the radio is putting out anything?

OP
OP
T

TheEnder53

Reaction score
Ok. Radio in center console is working, so it’s either a speaker or wiring issue. Amp fuse is good, so im confused a bit here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879