2001 Tahoe 5.3 Runs Rough at times, At my ropes end!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plsmith86

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Ya'll,

I have a problem with my truck and I am getting close to my ropes end, and I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on what I could possibly do to fix my problem, or if anyone has had this happen to them..

About my truck:

2001 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.3 Auto, 4x4. 285/75R16 Tires. 172k miles on her.

My truck started to run rough around 163k miles. Everything was original. I had a complete tune up done, with AC/Delco plugs and wires, cleaned out the fuel system, new fuel filter, air filter, changed the oil, changed all the drive line fluids, and did a throttle body cleaning.

Two months ago, out of the blue while I was stopped at idle, my truck skipped a few times, and then was fine. It than started to misfire, idle rough and shake bad. This went on for about two minutes, by the time I gave it gas, it jerked a little (to describe it best, was like teaching my wife how to drive a stick for the first time!) but it cleared up and was fine, and drove fine for the next two weeks.

It happened again, same issue. I noticed it only did it when it was hot. It cleared up. It started to happen more often. So I checked over everything that was done, plugs, wires, filters - all was fine. I put some high octane fuel in it, drove it through and it was fine for a while but did it again. At this point, it was more frequent and the engine light would flash (BUT IT NEVER SETS CODES, OR A LIGHT!!) So I decided it would probably be best to have the dealer use the TECH2 and figure out what the problem is, my DRB only does so much.

While not admitting defeat, while on the way to the dealer, it started to cut out bad on the highway and shaking bad. It never did this before. I am not sure what the problem was. I got to the dealer, paid 100 for diag, and they said that my muffler was making some noises; they suspect a baffle inside it was causing it. They wanted 700 for a new one. I took the truck, thanked them and had a flow master installed for around 200, cat-back. It ran great for a couple days, but did the same thing.

I took it back to the dealer, they said that they were finally able to get it to act up with them in the car, and that my EGR was throwing a code for getting stuck closed, and at the same time my engine has "multiple random misfire" codes. They then diagnosed it as a plugged converter and quoted me 1800, with a "cleaning" of the egr... "to start" I paid my 100 and went to a muffler shop. They disagreed and said there was nothing wrong with the truck but though from the exhaust it was maybe running "rich" I told him it was all original and it probably would not hurt... so we put on an aftermarket magnaflow stainless steel converter. It was about 500.

It ran great for about two weeks, but now it’s doing the same thing, and seems to get worse every time it does it. Now with that being said, I did check the EGR... its dirty, but not to the point where it could cause a problem (in my opinion) and it seems to be working. I cleaned it up some, and put it back together.

I don't have the slightest of ideas as to where to go next, the dealer seems to just be tossing parts at it, and I don’t really have the money to flush away on this thing. I love the truck to death, it’s in perfect condition, the leather does not have a single blemish in it, and every power feature works, including the rear air!

What I find strange, is that I cannot pin point where when or what causes this. It will happen with the AC on, AC off, steering hard over... nothing. It just does this randomly. It gets in my opinion great fuel economy... usually 14mpg city and 17+ highways. It never stalls out, and always starts right up, and does not really give me an issue there, however at times when I start it, it HAS acted up and cleared up after a few minutes.

I am not sure if I am chasing an intermittent electrical / sensor problem... fuel problem... mechanical?

In the last year, I have replaced the fuel pump, with a Delphi module, it failed while driving. That was about 14,000 miles ago. Since then the fuel filter was replaced 2 times with AC/Delco. The tune up was done. And all the filters seem to be fine.

As I said.. I am getting close to my ropes end, and nothing seems to be improving this issue... if you have any thoughts at all, it would sure be greatly appreciated!!

MrFleming007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the last time the MAF was cleaned? Do you have a scanner that will show your fuel trims?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

bankswood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking like MrFleming007. My Yukon was doing similar things as far skipping / misfiring. It would clear up for awhile. It finally got bad enough to throw a code. I replaced the MAF and have not had an issue since.

OP
OP
P

plsmith86

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The MAF has not been cleaned, no one has mentioned this, I think I might have to try that, and see what I come up with.. and as far as my scaner - it only reads codes, and monitors. So when the light does flash... I cant get codes because it wont set them. Its annoying!

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with others to first clean out the Mass air flow sensor, very easy to do. From there my thoughts are, o2 sensors or the ecm computer itself. The thing that worries me is that you get no code. You really should always get a code when sometimes goes bad even if the check engine light is not on sometimes there are codes stored. A ecm shouldn't be more then a hundred bucks and for what i see you spending money on i dont think its that bad of an investment if it comes down to it. Good luck!!

OP
OP
P

plsmith86

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am going to try the MAF cleaning today. I was concerned about the check engine light not setting or keeping codes, however when I was able to use a friends scanner, all computers were communicating properly, however I have learned that when your working on cars, the last thing the computer will blame is its self!
Dodges are nortorious for sending you on a wild goose chase, but then again I am not working on a dodge so all my trade tricks are out the window on this one!!
on the oter hand, If I get a good scanner there may be stored codes that my scanner is not picking up. I can't bielieve that a ECM is only around 100$ I had to replace one on my impala and it was around agrand with program from the dealer. If thats the case, its almost worth replacing just because!

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could use a temp gun and take the temps at the inlet and outlet of the converters, if the temp is considerably cooler on the outlet, there is a good chance it is plugged. If exhaust was free flowing through it, the temps should remain fairly consistent.
I would also try another dealer, they all have alleged techs that simply want to throw parts at it. If you do have to take it to a dealer, give them less info, simply tell them to diagnose the problem and provide a fix. When they quote you that fix and before you approve the repairs, reiterate to the service writer that you expect a guarantee the suggested repairs will solve the problem. Not knocking you, I can understand wanting to save money, but my buddies that are dealer techs see this all the time. If the customer proceeds with the suggested repairs and the problem is not fixed, the tech/dealer is on the hook. Now, they might not fix the truck for free, they might give you $x in credit towards the actual fix. Sometimes there is more than one problem, so they have to fix one thing to get to another.

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to try the MAF cleaning today. I was concerned about the check engine light not setting or keeping codes, however when I was able to use a friends scanner, all computers were communicating properly, however I have learned that when your working on cars, the last thing the computer will blame is its self!
Dodges are nortorious for sending you on a wild goose chase, but then again I am not working on a dodge so all my trade tricks are out the window on this one!!
on the oter hand, If I get a good scanner there may be stored codes that my scanner is not picking up. I can't bielieve that a ECM is only around 100$ I had to replace one on my impala and it was around agrand with program from the dealer. If thats the case, its almost worth replacing just because!
A scanner to read codes are all the same unless you need to read logs like downstream o2 codes and other fancy things. The issue that i see is unless someone is going to lend you there advanced and expensive scanner to use for a few weeks then good luck but i think it has something to do with ecm. Also as for the ecm i did a google search and i find them from 145 up to 250 reman. Thats not bad. Here is one site, never used them but thought i give you an idea.
http://www.lowmileageparts.com/2002-chevrolet-tahoe-electric-engine-control-module---ecm-55056.aspx

Good luck !!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are cleaning out your MAF, hope you know to only use MAF specific spray cleaner, to never use an air compressor to dry it all out after spraying the MAF cleaner (it will air dry on its own), and to never touch the little wires in the MAF at all with anything!! Otherwise, if you've never cleaned in out it would be a good cheap try for a fix for sure!! If you run a K&N, then it's a good thing to do at least once a year anyways!! My can of MAF cleaner has lasted me 5 years so far and I have a few more cleanings left in it still!!

Good luck!

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue. No check engine lights. Engined stalled a few times too. I have a 2001 suburban with the 5.3L. 140k miles. All I did was clean all the dirt build up in the throttle body. Removed only the intake boot and wiped clean with a rag. Idle is smooth now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman