2001 GMC Yukon Starting Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TruckerSteve1986

TruckerSteve1986

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is this a new starter or a used one?

Almost sounds like your starter isn’t retracted all the way and the flex plate is hitting it. Get a stethoscope and see if you can find where the sound is coming from.

OMG REALLY!? OH GOD....CAN THIS ACTUALLY HAPPEN??? It was used from the local pick a part. HOWEVER, it looked fairly new. The rest of the engine and engine compartment off of the vehicle I pulled it off of, looked extremely dirty, yet the starter was surprisingly really clean. Not even any grease on it whatsoever which led me to believe that it had been replaced recently before the vehicle met its demise from the rollover it look like it was involved in lol... This was the exact part/part number it was, below.

Screenshot_20200414-063301.png

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG REALLY!? OH GOD....CAN THIS ACTUALLY HAPPEN??? It was used from the local pick a part. HOWEVER, it looked fairly new. The rest of the engine and engine compartment off of the vehicle I pulled it off of, looked extremely dirty, yet the starter was surprisingly really clean. Not even any grease on it whatsoever which led me to believe that it had been replaced recently before the vehicle met its demise from the rollover it look like it was involved in lol... This was the exact part/part number it was, below.

View attachment 245033
Yes, it is possible regardless of it being new or used, but especially if it’s used. Like I said, if the noise wasn’t there before you installed it and is there now, start there.

OP
OP
TruckerSteve1986

TruckerSteve1986

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That’s possible as well. There is a used starter that just got installed and now there is a noise that wasn’t there beforehand. I would start there.

Did you/everyone look at the YouTube video I posted of the sound?

ALSO; does anybody know why I can no longer reply to the thread???

Yes I can edit. This post only. I cannot reply to anything. This really sucks. look at my screenshot;

Screenshot_20200418-212956.png

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the starter needs a shim? they sell them at the autoparts store, not sure how you would determine that because I haven't ran into it myself, I thought the gear would stay stuck to the flexplate?

OP
OP
TruckerSteve1986

TruckerSteve1986

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Now I can reply... how weird. Had a quick question for anybody who looked at my video on YouTube. The sound that you heard, if in fact my starter needs a shim, what exactly is going on? and the sound that you all heard in the video, how are you able to differentiate that sound as a "potential" starter issue, and not an actual engine knock sound?

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
I once pulled an engine I thought had locked up, but ended up being a trans pump bolt backed out hitting the converter. I’d try turning over the engine by hand, see if you hear naughty noises coming from the starter/flex plate/converter area

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BattleTank