2000 Yukon XL - Non Bose, no bass from factory radio or aftermarket radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanguy426

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 2000 Yukon xl, non Bose system. The original radio has been replaced because something was wrong with it causing it to flicker on and off, I replaced it with a pioneer single DIN unit.

The subwoofer out back has been unplugged because it's blown. However, all of the other speakers in the truck still work including the tweeters out back, but no speaker has any bass at all. The sound out of every single speaker is 100% completely flat, but clear. No matter how much I turn the bass up or change any other settings, the sound is just flat. The bass is the only issue I have with the sound system at this point. Is there something I'm missing? Even without a subwoofer, I should still have some bass, correct? Where should I look first for a problem?

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

It is possible that there are high pass filters built into all of the speakers, and the bass frequencies are only routed to the subwoofer. Folks much more knowledgeable than me on the Bose system will chime in.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Non-Bose, although it may not matter. Have you pulled a door panel to see what a speaker looks like? You may want to swap out those OE speakers for some aftermarket, as the cones may be trashed or rotted, and newer speakers will probably match your new radio better.

OP
OP
R

ryanguy426

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Non-Bose, although it may not matter. Have you pulled a door panel to see what a speaker looks like? You may want to swap out those OE speakers for some aftermarket, as the cones may be trashed or rotted, and newer speakers will probably match your new radio better.
No, I haven't pulled the door panel to look at the speakers. I've checked the tweeters and they look good (to me). Although, I'm not a speaker person so I don't really know what a good or bad speaker looks like. I'll check the ones in the front doors first since I have to replace those window motors anyway, and compare to pictures online of good speakers.

I've seen a lot of confusing information online about replacing speakers in these trucks. I've seen a lot of people say different wattages work and don't work, different ohms work and don't work, different sizes work and don't work. Would I be better off just going to an audio shop?

Walchit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Car audio is usually 4 ohm, until you start trying to get 1-2 ohm stable amps to get more power to your subwoofer. Mine has a soundstream head unit and some kind of aftermarket door speakers, and I'm not impressed by the sound quality. I am thinking about hooking up an amp and running it to a new sub in the factory box. I definitely want a new head unit, will probably try to find an Alpine really, I've had great results with them in the past. I wouldn't mind an amp for my door speakers too, but the sub and head unit may be enough for me.

Pops946

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 2000 Yukon xl, non Bose system. The original radio has been replaced because something was wrong with it causing it to flicker on and off, I replaced it with a pioneer single DIN unit.

The subwoofer out back has been unplugged because it's blown. However, all of the other speakers in the truck still work including the tweeters out back, but no speaker has any bass at all. The sound out of every single speaker is 100% completely flat, but clear. No matter how much I turn the bass up or change any other settings, the sound is just flat. The bass is the only issue I have with the sound system at this point. Is there something I'm missing? Even without a subwoofer, I should still have some bass, correct? Where should I look first for a problem?
Sounds similar to what was on these for at least a couple of years. I replaced the 4 door speakers and the sub in my 02 Tahoe. Clean sound, but no bass except from the sub in the back. There is an old thread somewhere here that discusses the factory amp, mounted behind the glovebox, that filters out all the bass except to the sub. There are instructions on what plugs to buy and how to wire them to bypass the amp. I assembled and installed mine a few years ago, and how have decent sounding door speakers. Their power is coming just from the head unit, but my Tahoe is all stock - nothing fancy - so it sounds good to me. And certainly much better than how it came from the factory. I’ll try to find the article and attach it if I can.

Pops946

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Read this and see if it applies to your Yukon. Pretty detailed instructions included.

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

When I added my kicker ds speakers to all 4 doors & got a pioneer head unit my Tahoe was exactly the same way, with the rear subwoofer blown no bass at all. I don’t mind now as I have a 12 inch woofer but without it it would suck.

Jaketime81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You have a factory amp behind the glove box that filters out all the bass frequencies (below 100ish htz) to the 4 door speakers front tweeters in the door and two rear pillar mid/tweeters. So no mater how much you turn the bass up on your new radio it wont play through the speakers. Your factory 8 inch sub plays all the sub 80-100 htz and below bass notes. If you are not going to replace the factory sub, you need to bypass the factory amp. And I recommend replacing the oem speakers at the same time for better sound. I usually unplug the amp and run 9 wire to the aftermarket radio. (I have been installing car audio for 20 years and have done this many many times) I just picked up an 02 Tahoe with a blown/disconnected sub. The previous owner had put a 10 inch sub and box in the back and and amp inder the 2nd row seat. I didnt want an aftermarket box with a 10 taking up space in the back so I replaced the factory sub with a Helix 8 inch k8 sub in the factory enclosure and connected it to the aftermarket amp. I has just as much bass as the 10, and way louder than the original. I also have sub volume control on my aftermarket kenwood radio that I can control the sub volume separately. I left the factory amp (for now) powering all the other speakers. But its common they go out, so I imagine it will get disconected soon and replaced with a nice amp and all new speakers. Hope that helps.

Aaron81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm in this situation as well. I just got a 2001 Tahoe from Georgia extremely clean "
Non Bose ' everythings been left alone aside from the jvc single din radio. And there's a Sony explode 8" sub In the stock location. The guy I got it from said he never did the sub work and it's been there. It does not put out sound. I'm very keen on aftermarket audio and customization as well.. but I am not keen on the factory amp and speaker setup within these gmt800 trucks .
Sub could be blown or left unhooked or isn't even receiving power/signal. What's your ideas? I'm not doing anything major with new subs until I build my custom Center console Sub box. But I'd like to get this 8" or a new 8" going. How can I assure the factory amp is getting power too the back ? The door speakers have no acoustic sound or bass as a new truck has. The radio must either be running off a pac unit if it's using the oem amp or maybe even bypassed using just the jvc power .
Main issue is finding out how to get subwoofer sound ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442