2 speed Autotrac transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the new Escalades, specifically the 4wd models? My first question are the 4wd models actually 4wd or awd? The reason I ask is I see some trim levels have an Autotrac 2 speed transfer case.

I am finally looking to move into a new body style but not looking to get into one with awd like my previous 2010 had.

Thanks in advance!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the new Escalades, specifically the 4wd models? My first question are the 4wd models actually 4wd or awd? The reason I ask is I see some trim levels have an Autotrac 2 speed transfer case.

I am finally looking to move into a new body style but not looking to get into one with awd like my previous 2010 had.

Thanks in advance!
They do not have an AWD option like the old ones. They 4x4s either have a single speed transfer case or a 2-speed depending on options.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 speeds have straight 2wd 4hi 4low and awd. This is the best choice as you can control everything.
Mine has only been in awd once in 10k miles and pretty much lives in 2wd

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can a vehicle have awd if it is a 4wd? Isnt the tech to do awd different than 4wd?

suterusu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regular 4WD trucks are 2H, 4H, and Auto. The two speed case adds 4L. No "AWD" in the technical sense of the term on these trucks, just 4WD.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you put it into Neutral?
These are the instruction for the new body style with 2-speed transfer case:

To shift into N (Neutral):
1. Start the vehicle.
2. Shift the transmission to N (Neutral).
3. Shift the transfer case to 2 m.
4. Apply the parking brake and/or brake pedal.
5. Press 2 m five times in 10 seconds until the N (Neutral) graphic starts flashing in the instrument cluster. When the shift is complete, the graphic stops flashing. If the parking brake and/or brake pedal is not applied within 20 seconds, the transfer case will remain in the original state.
6. If the transmission is not shifted into N (Neutral) or the vehicle has not slowed to 5 km/h (3 mph) within 20 seconds, the transfer case will remain in its original state. This will be indicated in the instrument cluster.

To shift out of N (Neutral):
1. Turn the ignition on with the engine off.
2. Set the parking brake.
3. Shift the transmission to N (Neutral).
4. Shift the transfer case to 2 m. Transfer case shifts out of N (Neutral) can only be made into 2 m. When the shift to 2 m is complete, the graphic in the instrument cluster will stop flashing. If the transfer case cannot complete a shift, the graphic will return to the previously selected setting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins