2.5/1.5 leveling kit help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jnull

Reaction score
I have a 16 suburban LT 4x4 that I’m looking to level the front 2.5” and bring the rear up 1.5”. IFS is brand new to me as all my other trucks are solid axle. I’ve read about every thread there is on lifts and levels but still don’t know which way to go.

I don’t want to spend more then necessary but also don’t want something just because it’s cheap. I’d like to do things right and keep all the geometry correct as this is our family vehicle that can see long road trips. Any advice on which direction to go is appreciated. Pics below of my stock suspension, I assume this is the regular non magnetic or air assist suspension.

0-B4-FA8-AD-774-F-40-BF-8-D40-472-DEEC39-D0-C.jpg

EBFC2-CE2-707-D-4263-94-D1-48-F912-B8-C2-CE.jpg

George R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Correct. That is the standard rear suspension. I would look into suspension maxx, well built products made in the U.S.A.
They have the exact kit you are looking for. 2.5” front/1” or 1.75” rear.

OP
OP
J

Jnull

Reaction score
Correct. That is the standard rear suspension. I would look into suspension maxx, well built products made in the U.S.A.
They have the exact kit you are looking for. 2.5” front/1” or 1.75” rear.

I’ll check em out thanks!

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jnull,

i am a little **** when it comes to modifying my rides...i want quality at whatever cost. MY Dodge Rams run Carli (check them out).

i am interested in starting a thread with a more in depth look at these suspensions...hence why i will ask this question...

can you measure the following for an update ?

1. front upper arm to bump stop distance ???
2. rear axle pad to bump stop

both preferably with a half tank or more of fuel.

i am looking to aid others like your self with a single thread to aid in making the decision of how to lift and also how much to lift without harming how these rigs perform.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now, for a quick answer to your question... a level spacer is a level spacer. real difference being...
1. material choice ( plastic vs metal
2. location of install ( upper strut = more work ) ( lower spacer = easier install )

my first look is ALWAYS at what tire size i want to run for the over all look...then research what it takes. it always good to search these threads and document what you see that you like...write down what they say they have.

personally, i prefer a replacement strut/coil for the front from a reputable maker that increases height, travel and ride...

the rear is slightly different, as not many make replacement coils...but the OE (GM) does offer a few choices that can make a difference.

OP
OP
J

Jnull

Reaction score
I run some carli parts on my heavily modified 16 mega cab, along with thuren and DOR for a suspension setup I pieced together from what I thought was the best parts each company offered.

But this isn’t my mega cab, or any other of three second gen cummins trucks. It’s just my wife’s DD/family ride which is why it only needs whats necessary but still done correctly. That’s why I’m asking here, if upper control arms are a must at 2.5” front that’s fine (even tho most don’t seem to run them) but what brand, if diff drop spacers should be used, any other “necessary” modifications, etc...

I know you from CF we’ve talked via PM, I’m the other CWI.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
small world... in general, as always...go jack up the front to the height you desire. look at the upper arm ball joint angle and distance to bump stop. at a minimum you need to trim the rubber stop if not remove all together...with almost all heights of a level kit.

my 17 burb is the wifes daily, she wants it slightly higher, but i know she wont want to climb into a lifted vehicle everyday. i would prefer the 4" with knuckles and crossmember drop to keep all angles good, but he knuckle generally requires different wheels.

most companies i have spoke with...ICON , FOX, ect... say 2.5" is the safest max level, but recommend upper arms over 2".

OP
OP
J

Jnull

Reaction score
I don’t need to jack it up or anything I’ve looked at enough pictures to know a 2.5/1.5 looks great with a set of 295/60R20s. She wants the same just a little taller with a more aggressive look and stance. If it were my daily if certainly do things different.

What UCAs are recommended if one was so inclined to replace them? The ones I looked at briefly said they only fit vehicles with a certain factory style due to ball joints, is that how all of them are?

OP
OP
J

Jnull

Reaction score
Good info. Looking at the picture I posted above it looks like I have the stamped arms. Ready lift are the first arms I’ve seen for stamped factory arms. It doesn’t look like they sell them alone tho only with a 2.25” leveling kit.

Anyone know of arms you can buy by themselves that are meant to replace stamped arms and will work with a 2.5” level?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645