2/3 Drop 07 Tahoe LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FINALTOUCHFRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was planning on doing a 2/3 drop on my 07 Tahoe and throwing 24's on it at the end of the year but just find out I need shocks and struts all around. I guess that changes my plans now to get it done sooner then later. I believe I have a two wheel drive with struts in front and I think air shocks (bags?) in back. Is there a cheap way to do a 2/3 drop along with changing the shocks struts. I did my old expedition and all I had to do was the shocks and springs and I was done. Don't know if its the same type of setup or not.

If anyone is selling their drop kits Im looking.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since it's an LTZ, you likely have the Auto Ride (shocks/struts with electronically adjusted damping) and probably Auto Level (rear shocks have air bellows filled by a compressor to compensate for rear sag when loaded). You can either keep or delete all of this. Many delete it when they lower if it's non-functional cuz the replacement parts are much more expensive.

So, the first question is do you want to keep or delete either or both of these systems?

You can keep the rear Auto Ride and Auto Level functions while lowering it 3". Just install 3" drop coils, shock extenders and shorter ride height sensor links. You may wanna do the "free travel mod" (cutting out the factory bump stops and huge brackets from the frame) and likely will need the shorter/offset DJM sway bar links.

For the front, you have a few different ways to get a 2" drop. It depends on if you wanna keep the struts or not.

OP
OP
FINALTOUCHFRI

FINALTOUCHFRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since it's an LTZ, you likely have the Auto Ride (shocks/struts with electronically adjusted damping) and probably Auto Level (rear shocks have air bellows filled by a compressor to compensate for rear sag when loaded). You can either keep or delete all of this. Many delete it when they lower if it's non-functional cuz the replacement parts are much more expensive.

So, the first question is do you want to keep or delete either or both of these systems?

You can keep the rear Auto Ride and Auto Level functions while lowering it 3". Just install 3" drop coils, shock extenders and shorter ride height sensor links. You may wanna do the "free travel mod" (cutting out the factory bump stops and huge brackets from the frame) and likely will need the shorter/offset DJM sway bar links.

For the front, you have a few different ways to get a 2" drop. It depends on if you wanna keep the struts or not.

What ever the cheapest, cleanest, and I don't have to jeopardize the ride or safety is what I'm looking for.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What ever the cheapest, cleanest, and I don't have to jeopardize the ride or safety is what I'm looking for.

Cheapest to lower it 2/3 AND replacing the shocks would be lowering struts for the front and 3" coils for the rear with shorter ("drop") shocks. I'd highly advise shorter sway bar links front and rear, as well. You'd need the resistors to spoof the Auto Ride computer and just pull the fuses for the Auto Level system to kill that one.

OP
OP
FINALTOUCHFRI

FINALTOUCHFRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW thanks . I will plan for that. Any recommendation on where to go for these parts?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contact @NORCAL SS

Otherwise, there's ebay, this forum classifieds section, etc.

I got my Belltech Street Performance struts from another forum member that ran them for a few months then switched up his setup. I got the matching rear shocks new from Jegs cuz they were on sale. All other parts (coils, sway bar links, shock extenders, etc.) were from another forum member that returned his to stock a few years ago.

swest

Reaction score
I have Pedders for the rear that I got from NORCAL years ago, ran them a month and switched. Also have brand new shock extenders. Might even have some other little goodies if interested.

-Scott
317.281.one8five5

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW thanks . I will plan for that. Any recommendation on where to go for these parts?

I have Pedders for the rear that I got from NORCAL years ago, ran them a month and switched. Also have brand new shock extenders. Might even have some other little goodies if interested.

-Scott
317.281.one8five5

There ya go, steveo. There's always someone selling drop parts on a forum. If I'm not mistaken, I think the Pedders are about 2" of drop and are OEM for PPVs.

OP
OP
FINALTOUCHFRI

FINALTOUCHFRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score

-Scott
317.281.one8five5

call u 2day SWEST TY

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep