1999 Yukon Radiator Pinhole Blowout.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treepete

Reaction score
Gents, I woke up yesterday to the dreaded radiator-cracked-in-half-and-fell-out syndrome. It was dark in my driveway at the time so I couldn't exactly see where it fell out from. I called a friend for a lift to work and back. I had about a half hour of daylight when I got home, so I thought I would add some coolant. (I figured it was low) I dumped it some in there and it just poured out the bottom of the rad... so yeah. It's time.
I called the local wrench and they offered to put in a new one for 625$

I gave that idea the finger.

So, now I shop for radiator. Spectra is the OE replacement brand that keeps popping up and the price is between 140 online (1a auto) and 163 (from AutHoeZone.)

I can do the work, but the problem is I DON'T REMEMBER if I have a PS or trans cooler built into the radiator. I know there is a built in oil cooler, but the rest I cannot verify.

Can anyone of you check your radiator connections and let me know, please? I have to buy the part today and I got friends toting me around... the vehicle is at home and my wife wont understand what to look for.

Thanks in advance,
Pete

1999 Yukon Denali not-police model 5.7 not external trans cooler.. no tow package

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have two lines coming in the drivers side, and two lines coming in the passenger side then you have transmission and engine oil cooler lines.

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have two lines coming in the drivers side, and two lines coming in the passenger side then you have transmission and engine oil cooler lines.

OP
OP
treepete

treepete

Reaction score
yeah, therein lies the dilemma. I cannot loot at my vehicle because I'm at work. I should probably get the one with the trans cooler and if I don't need to use it, I wont use it.

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you could probably take your VIN and call a dealership and they could tell you. I will say, I have never seen a Tahoe/Yukon with a 5.7 without both trans and oil coolers, especially on 4x4 models. I would get the radiator from a local parts house, as warranty will be much easier. Trust me on this, I have been through 3 warranty radiators in 4 years.

OP
OP
treepete

treepete

Reaction score
OK Ill keep looking it... I'm just not finding one with the trans cooler built in.

OP
OP
treepete

treepete

Reaction score
Bah I see it at Rock Auto for 99$... I gotta find it locally.. out of time.

Thanks, guys

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
just get it and leave the line plugged if not used. but i will tell you right now if there are no cooler lines on your tranny the radiator option will be the least of your worries. your vehicle should have tranny and oil lines on the rad.

OP
OP
treepete

treepete

Reaction score
OK guys, thanks for all the help today. I scored a rad with oil+trans cooler inputs for 140 at O'reilly's. and I have an additional smaller trans cooler in front of the OE radiator. forgot I had that...so double cool the trans fluid on this vehicle.
electric fans in and out rad + flush and fill 2 hours. Now it's Miller Time(r).

I thank Jiminy da Wrench and Scott Round for the help gettin 'er done.
And I thank all you guys for your thoughts and input.

Done, and done.:beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zachattack_0924

Latest posts