1999 Tahoe randomly wont start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmsmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 1999 tahoe, older body style...its a 4dr 2wd...I recently swapped the motor out cuz I either had a cracked head or blown head gasket...even before the swap this happened....it will run great for months, and out of the blue, it won't start...it turns over just fine...I added some gas to the throddle body to check n see it it was a fuel prob...it started n died as soon as the fuel burned off....I beat on the gas tank and cleaned the fuel filter out...still nothing...I can hear the pump come on with the key...I jacked up the front of the truck, pulled the gas cap off and it started right up...wth?....can anyone help me with this?...can the fuel pump be going out again...replaced it two years ago and the fuel guage recently stopped working....

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

Honestly, I have seen your year model Silverados and Sierras have issues like these and what I have found is that the Evaporative emmissions vent solenoid at the tank is bad. If this has never been upgraded on your truck there is a fix from GM for this by purchasing the newer model. The upgraded "Vent", instead of mounting right at the tank, has a much longer hose to it and mounts up near the front of the transmission. I am not real sure as to how this helps or whatever, but it is common enough the GM redesigned it and offered it as a fix.

Hope this helps...

OP
OP
J

jmsmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll give it a try...what sucks about it, is it only happens about once a month...so it might be a while before I find out if it fixes it....really appreciate the reply....thanks...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879