1999 Tahoe mode blend door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kingbeav

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all. I’m new here and I’m curious to know is there any way possible to remove the mode blend door without removing the entire dash? I accidentally broke mine where the actuator attached to it a few years ago, which is preventing me from having a mode selector now. I currently have the 2 spring arms attached with a screw to allow air to pass through the vents but do not have access to select it to go to defrost. Please help if there’s any info available to get access to the blend door without removing the entire dash. Thanks I’m advance!!! #RollTide

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, you guessed what the answer is.

The a/c box is several pieces that all kind of join together. In the top half, the dampers are pressed onto the outside clips that the actuator attaches to. Even with the box pulled, the plastic housing can break when trying to get those dampers off. The damper at the bottom (not shown in the photo since it fits where the lower case joins) controls the air to the floor and is easy to replace once the dash is out.

GM still sells a new upper box with the dampers pre-installed. That’s the route that I usually go.

a92a4d8454299f06bea7773e863f331e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intenseman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does the entire box have to be pulled to replace the upper dampers as shown in the picture?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the dash rotated down, you can get to them. I’ve always pulled the box from the firewall, but would think you could replace the dampers without removing the box (disconnecting the evaporator and heater core).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk