1999 tahoe - Drivetrain howl on deceleration and turning right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DKS-1999-Sport

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 1999 Tahoe 2DR 4x4 with the auto transfer case and the G80 in the rear. I bought from the original owner that never changed the diff fluid and noticed it has a howl when slowing down and turning right. Issue goes away if i touch the throttle or turn left, replaced the driverside wheel bearings front and rear and still have the noise. Was some shavings in the G80 though. Anyone run into this?

1998Suburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the carrier bearings are on their way out. When you give it a little gas you're pre-loading the bearings. If he never changed the fluid they're probably pitted.

OP
OP
DKS-1999-Sport

DKS-1999-Sport

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like the carrier bearings are on their way out. When you give it a little gas you're pre-loading the bearings. If he never changed the fluid they're probably pitted.
Thanks 1998Suburban, I was researching that next, but didnt want to get those inspected or replaced without checking with others with the same trucks. Been chasing a ghost for weeks and dont have the diff spreader to remove it myself to check. Will see if my local driveline shop can inspect her and quote for repairs. I can replace bearings but dont want to mess with gear setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mazer16