1999 Tahoe Alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1999BlueTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good evening everyone and my apologies if this isn’t in the right spot. None of the other categories seemed particularly relevant, at least how I interpreted them.

I have a 1999 Tahoe 4x4 and am curious about how I can remedy my alignment “issue.”

Since purchasing the truck a couple years ago, I have replaced upper/lower ball joints, sway bar end-links, pitman/idler arms, hubs/bearings, and various brake components. As far as I know, the torsion bars have never been messed with and I’m not sure if it has ever had after market camber kits installed.

My question/concern revolves around why I can’t get my camber closer to 0 degrees. Both sides currently sit around +1 and are “within spec” as it seems. According to the shop I frequent the most, the camber cannot be adjusted any further. Why is this and is there anything I can do to remedy it?

I’m only making a fuss because it’s clearly wearing my front tires out on the outer edges and sometimes steers weird on uneven pavement. I feel like all my previous vehicles have been closer to -1 - 0 degrees and is what I’m used to.

I’ve read about flipping ball joints, replacing control arm bushing (mine definitely look tired), camber kits, and of course torsion bar adjustment.

Would love any and all guidance towards this. Thank you.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Show us your last alignment sheets.
The hardest thing to get on these 4x4 GMT400 trucks are Caster. Most shops will trade camber to get more caster. Offset upper bushings will gain a little - about 1 degree per bushing MAX. But you still "trade" one adjustment for another. So installer experience desireable here. Find a "old school" alignment guy, not the cheapest FStone could hire..
If all your steering componenents are good, be sure to check Jounce Bumpers to get as perfect as possible. If you are at nearly stock ride height, stock components are best.

It seems most Alignment shops are more interested in selling tires than happy customers. The so-called Toe N Go alignment !

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the upper control arm knockouts been removed?

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where the upper control arms mount there are eccentrics for adjusting the camber. From the factory they don't have the bolts elongated to allow adjustment. The steel is stamped for it but you have to knock out that part to allow adjustment. There is a tool for knocking it out that a good alignment shop should have. I have seen when they knock them out the bolts have a tendency to loosen and have problems holding the alignment which is why if it's in spec I'd leave well enough alone. Now worn upper control arm bushings are common and that will cause tire wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts