1999 Tahoe 4X4 issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stiffler63

Reaction score
a few weeks ago I noticed all 4 lights on my 4x4 switch would light up and I couldnt activate the 4x4 then one day it would. I swapped the dash buttons out no change. One day it wasnt working I road down a bumpy road to see if it would make it change nothing go back home was parking it spun it around in the back 40 and looked down switch was working. I then started thinking it was wiring. Had my wife watch the dash I wiggled all the wires on the transfer case and front axle. No change. Then I started flipping the key on and off it would work 2or 3 times in a row then not the next 50-100 then work once and I would check it it would actuate everything. Any ideas? Its about to start snowing here and I need to get it ready.

bacon612

Reaction score
a few weeks ago I noticed all 4 lights on my 4x4 switch would light up and I couldnt activate the 4x4 then one day it would. I swapped the dash buttons out no change. One day it wasnt working I road down a bumpy road to see if it would make it change nothing go back home was parking it spun it around in the back 40 and looked down switch was working. I then started thinking it was wiring. Had my wife watch the dash I wiggled all the wires on the transfer case and front axle. No change. Then I started flipping the key on and off it would work 2or 3 times in a row then not the next 50-100 then work once and I would check it it would actuate everything. Any ideas? Its about to start snowing here and I need to get it ready.
Its my understanding that one of two parts have gone wrong. One is an encoder motor and the other is an actuator. One is in the front diff and the other in the transfer case. One part is significantly cheaper than the other as I recall. Maybe start with the cheaper one? Check rock auto parts catalog maybe? Good luck. Had a similar issue a few years back and I think I ended up replacing both.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

GM iraqi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for interfering but I have a question related to this matter
Q/ how often I should use the 4wd I mean I rarely need it
Is it necessary to active it every month even for just few feets

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn