1998 Tahoe LS 2 door !help me!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckBoss223

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also ordering a lift from RCX just got a winch from them if you mention this forum you get 10% off. I am also getting the the 2" torsion keys with the 6 inch lift. I was told by a friend when you buy the 6" lift your its basically a 4" kit and you crank your bars all the way up for the 6". with the extra 2" keys you can keep the stock geometry of all the parts or crank and go up to 8" inches.

Maybe someone on here can explain better who knows all that front end lingo crap. it has something to do with the front axle CV angles keeping them level

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
I am also ordering a lift from RCX just got a winch from them if you mention this forum you get 10% off. I am also getting the the 2" torsion keys with the 6 inch lift. I was told by a friend when you buy the 6" lift your its basically a 4" kit and you crank your bars all the way up for the 6". with the extra 2" keys you can keep the stock geometry of all the parts or crank and go up to 8" inches.

Maybe someone on here can explain better who knows all that front end lingo crap. it has something to do with the front axle CV angles keeping them level

Mike,
Good question, hopefully this helps.

Using aftermarket keys essentially re-indexes your torsion bars which allows you to lift higher then OEM specs.

Unfortunately you will still be putting MASSIVE strain on your IFS parts if you crank all the way, especially if you're cranked all the way with aftermarket keys...this will lead to a very rough ride as well.

The only safe way to lift the truck is with a suspension lift (i.e. lowering the diff) and/or body lift. Raising the truck through your torsion bars (which is what the keys do) will always cause increased strain on your parts, esp once you start hitting the 2"+ mark.

If you want to go up 8", I would recommend the 6" RCX lift and a 2" body lift. However, if you complete a 2" body lift, make sure you have plans to fill in the gaps around the frame otherwise you may not like the look.

Keep the questions coming if something I wrote doesn't make sense or more explanation is needed.

TruckBoss223

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am only going 6" but i was told all 6" lifts are essentially 4" lifts with the bars cranked. (this came from a guy at RCX cant remember his name) so i am doing the 6" lift plus the keys to keep the stock angles but have just 6" of lift. Make sense ? unless i understood him wrong but thats what i got out of it.

The only thing different between 4 and 6" lifts is the add a leaf for the rear

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
I am only going 6" but i was told all 6" lifts are essentially 4" lifts with the bars cranked. (this came from a guy at RCX cant remember his name) so i am doing the 6" lift plus the keys to keep the stock angles but have just 6" of lift. Make sense ? unless i understood him wrong but thats what i got out of it.

The only thing different between 4 and 6" lifts is the add a leaf for the rear

You are correct in a few of your points above....let me know if this helps.

I think the exact measurement is somewhere around 5 - 5.5" of lift and then you can crank to reach 6" of lift... more if your torsion bars have some life left in them. At 6" of lift, you will have cranked CVs, but they won't be severe. Also, the aftermarket keys won't help with the CV angles. The keys are only for re-indexing the torsion bars so you can achieve greater lift with them.

However, to crank to 6" on the RCX lift, you do not need aftermarket keys...you can use the ones your truck came with.

As an example, I actually run the RCX lift and decranked to hit about 4.5" over stock.

Last edited:

TruckBoss223

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct in all your above points. I thought you wanted to lift all the way to 8" with an RCX lift.

I think the exact measurement is somewhere around 5 - 5.5" of lift and then you can crank to 6" plus more if your torsion bars have some life left in them. I actually run their lift and decranked to hit about 4.5" over stock. At 6" of lift, you will have cranked CVs, but they won't be severe...the aftermarket keys won't help with the CV angles.

However, to crank to 6" on the RCX lift, you do not need aftermarket keys...you can use the ones your truck came with.

I want 6" without cranking. Ill pay the extra $ 100 to save the life on my front end i mean whats the worse that can happen i wind up over 6" with the keys cranked all the way down

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
I want 6" without cranking. Ill pay the extra $ 100 to save the life on my front end i mean whats the worse that can happen i wind up over 6" with the keys cranked all the way down

Mike, I edited my previous message so it's a little clearer.

Purchasing aftermarket keys will NOT help your front end parts. Aftermarket keys will only allow you to raise your truck even higher, putting ADDITIONAL strain on your front end parts.

tt660

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just gonna throw this in here. I put a 6" zone offroad lift on my 99 with autotrac and didn't have to replace the front driveshaft. It is also a true 6" lift, I have mine lifted almost 8" in the front and my angles are nowhere being bad.

tt660

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea man good kit, been happy with it so far. I don't believe they list it for a 2dr, but I ordered one for a rcsb. Got mine thru rockymountainsusp.com
DSCN0697.jpg
DSCN0703.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warock56

Latest posts