1996 Tahoe ABS chatter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

macattak1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings, my 96 Tahoe front wheels chatter needlessly when trying to stop on slippery surfaces such as ice, snow, or rain. I do not trust this thing to stop me. No codes. Been like this for a while.

What parts could be needing replacement?
How do I find out?
Best places to buy? Quality, price, returns?

Also, do Tahoes go through brakes or is there something else going on? I often have no brakes in the rear? for some reason. Almost allways moisture related. I have to put into reverse and backup and stomp on the brakes to get them to adjust. Otherwise it is like 100% front only and just putting on the brakes some causes which ever brakes that are working to just lock up.

Thanks much,
Tim

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
That is not the abs likely if it just happens on slippery surfaces. That is inferior tire quality not gripping those surfaces well. Would try Bridgestone Blizzacks for better winter traction. Ensure the rears are adjusting as needed. If not you may need to replace the components and make sure they are lubricated where needed. Regardless make sure brake fluid is clean and that the wheel cylinders are not jamming.

OP
OP
M

macattak1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Bridgestones rate an 8.8 over a 7.6 on ice at Tire Rack. So they are better, but there is not much better rated on ice and the Mich I have are still well rated for ice, snow, etc.

I have had the brakes completely redone several years ago. I have a diesel truck that I take to a very well regarded truck shop and they did the brakes on the Tahoe as well. new pads, rotors, I even think calipers and cylinders, bled the lines and new fluid, etc.

The brakes have never been the same since I had the first brake job done on them back in CA. I have also read that Tahoe brakes can be a huge problem.

This thing eats pads, probably because it is not tuned very well. However, I have had it to at least 4 places for brake jobs in the last 10 years and it has never gotten better, except the truck shop got the sticking/jarring part cut down by about 50%.

Very frustrating continuously distrusting the brakes but never being able to find anyone that can actually fix them 100%.

Peace and Blessings

kcb37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is your diesel truck? A Dmax?
They do very very well on brakes. Ever notice how they downshift a lot more aggressively then a gas engine? That helps a lot. Add to that T/H mode they downshift more aggressively.

What all has been done to the brakes? Seems like once the pedal goes soft it's done.
Not saying you can't have a decent tedal or good pedal, just takes some work.

Have you had the ABS bleed with a Tech II or bidirectional scan tool?

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

More or less you need a scanner that has the Automated Bleed (Functional Test)
A scanner that will do this is a bidirectional scanner. If you want to look.
P1000539_zps649f1cc3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimcauble

Latest posts