'19-'20 Reliability/longevity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Raleigh RTP North Carolina. Tried all four local dealers and only Medlin GMC in Wilson, NC tried harder. However, 3 of them said that GM does not allow them to troubleshoot further if there are no codes. They are not paying for troubleshooting out of their own money. Per GM truck runs "within spec".

I am trying Exxon 93 at the moment and do not see any improvements yet, on a second tank.

Where do you live? I am sure members here on the forum can recommend some good Chevrolet-GMC dealer in your neck of the woods. I always had awesome service from Cadillac dealers and would not hesitate to take my Tahoe to a Cadillac dealer for service.

My 2017 XL had what felt like a miss when idling at a stoplight while burning regular gasoline. I switched to mid-grade some fill ups and premium others. Now runs buttery smooth and cannot even tell it's running. For me, BIG difference in type of gas. 5.3 L, not the 6.2.

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to check 2020 deals last night and had a chance to test drive 2020 LT 4x4. Interestingly enough after 10-12 minutes of road running when I came to a stop in D and engine temp at normal operating the tach stayed at 600-700 RPM even after 1 min of idle in D it never decreased to ~500.
What RPM do you guys see on your 2020?
IMG_4391.jpeg

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2019 and now a 2020 LS, both 6 speeds. No major issues on either one. On the 19 the transmission would slip a little if you didn't wait for a second or two shifting into drive. Dealer said it was normal. My 2020 doesn't do that. They both idle very smoothly. Neither one had the booming/buffeting or vibration issues that seemed somewhat common on the earlier years. Both have 18 inch rims. The 2020 has some squeaks and rattles in the dash/console area. I had a new Silverado loaner with an 8 speed and the tranny slipped pretty bad when cold and would have some pretty hard downshifts when coming to a stop, like you were getting lightly rear ended. I feel the 19/20's at least with the 6 speeds seem to have had most of the major issues people were complaining about worked out.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also , keep a close eye on the oil and coolant levels. These trucks burn oil more than average and the coolant reservoir leaks , which can unexpectedly put them dangerously low causing a rough idle and worse

This is the first time I am hearing that the K2XX uses more oil then average. After 5K [just before I change the oil] the oil level is just slightly under the full mark. So far only had to add a drop of coolant in 75K miles.

I spoke to numerous Livery drivers in NYC just a couple of weeks ago and none said their vehicles use any oil between changes. Most of those drivers change their oil between 5-6K miles. Just about all of them take it to the dealer for service.

iras1976

Reaction score
This is the first time I am hearing that the K2XX uses more oil then average. After 5K [just before I change the oil] the oil level is just slightly under the full mark. So far only had to add a drop of coolant in 75K miles.

I spoke to numerous Livery drivers in NYC just a couple of weeks ago and none said their vehicles use any oil between changes. Most of those drivers change their oil between 5-6K miles. Just about all of them take it to the dealer for service.
Not only am I an NYC livery driver , but I have a few buddies with 2015 - 2016 models and we all add oil between changes, and all of us have replaced our coolant reservoirs for leakage issues. All of us have replaced condensers , brake vacuum stabilizer links etc. etc. The list goes on . I added coolant yesterday for the first time in a while , so I have to see what's going on this time .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

iras1976

Reaction score

Btw ,just order yourself a coolant reservoir lol , 75 - 80k is right on target for that thing to start leaking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Raleigh RTP North Carolina. Tried all four local dealers and only Medlin GMC in Wilson, NC tried harder. However, 3 of them said that GM does not allow them to troubleshoot further if there are no codes. They are not paying for troubleshooting out of their own money. Per GM truck runs "within spec".

I am trying Exxon 93 at the moment and do not see any improvements yet, on a second tank.

I have had misses in my 12 with exxon and with shell.. something in the adatives put in there just gives a little hickup... Weird to try... BUT most Kroger name gas stations have decent fuel if its in a big town... Suggestion, Valero gas is better than Exxon, throw some Royal Purple Max Atomizer in there, should run like new, will clean things up good also. I have found that with the ethanol content being higher its more touchy on the bs blends..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep