17 inch wheels offset/backspacing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimbowattz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking to order some 17 inch method wheels for a 2018 Tahoe.

They make them with a 25 offset / 5.7 inch backspacing. And also make them in a 0 offset / 4.7 inch backspacing.

I believe the OEM 22 inch RST ralley wheels I have are around a 25mm offset if I recall. But when I input my year Tahoe in Method's site, the only option it says will fit my truck is the 0 offset version. I'm not interested in having the tires stick out much.

Any idea if the 25mm offset with 5.7 backspacing will fit? Or would the larger 5.7 backspacing along with the smaller 17 inch wheel diameter create problems for caliper clearance?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to order some 17 inch method wheels for a 2018 Tahoe.

They make them with a 25 offset / 5.7 inch backspacing. And also make them in a 0 offset / 4.7 inch backspacing.

I believe the OEM 22 inch RST ralley wheels I have are around a 25mm offset if I recall. But when I input my year Tahoe in Method's site, the only option it says will fit my truck is the 0 offset version. I'm not interested in having the tires stick out much.

Any idea if the 25mm offset with 5.7 backspacing will fit? Or would the larger 5.7 backspacing along with the smaller 17 inch wheel diameter create problems for caliper clearance?
I thought the minimum wheel diameter for that generation was 18 inches because of the brakes?

How wide are those Method wheels? They are likely wider than a stock GM wheel with the 25mm offset.

Your get more responses soon as folks wake up and have their morning cup of joe.

OP
OP
J

Jimbowattz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought the minimum wheel diameter for that generation was 18 inches because of the brakes?

How wide are those Method wheels? They are likely wider than a stock GM wheel with the 25mm offset.

Your get more responses soon as folks wake up and have their morning cup of joe.

I thought a lower model of the 2018 Tahoe came from factory with 17s? And Method's site shows the 17 inch 0mm offset will fit. So I'm fairly sure the diameter will work. I'm just starting to think that the 25mm offset won't play nice with calipers.

It's an 8.5 inch wide wheel.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't see why it wouldn't work, the factory 18 inch wheels are 8.5" wide and run a 24-25mm offset. Same with the Trail Boss wheel on the 2019+.

I would not trust an aftermarket fitment guide, the guys will be along soon enough who know about the minimum wheel size for the K2s.

Why 17s? More sidewall?

OP
OP
J

Jimbowattz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I thought a lower model of the 2018 Tahoe came from factory with 17s? And Method's site shows the 17 inch 0mm offset will fit. So I'm fairly sure the diameter will work. I'm just starting to think that the 25mm offset won't play nice with calipers.
Don't see why it wouldn't work, the factory 18 inch wheels are 8.5" wide and run a 24-25mm offset. Same with the Trail Boss wheel on the 2019+.

I would not trust an aftermarket fitment guide, the guys will be along soon enough who know about the minimum wheel size for the K2s.

Why 17s? More sidewall?
Yes, want more rubber. I'm a fan of the 17s on 33s or 35s for my rigs. I'm only going to go with a 275/70r17 for this one since it's for the wife. But I'll always run with 17s over larger if I have an option. Just preference. Thx

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes, want more rubber. I'm a fan of the 17s on 33s or 35s for my rigs. I'm only going to go with a 275/70r17 for this one since it's for the wife. But I'll always run with 17s over larger if I have an option. Just preference. Thx
Same here, running 17s and 18s on ours. What I was trying to get across is that the factory 18 x 8.5 for your generation truck has an offset of 25mm. To my way of thinking, pushing the wheel out an inch (0 offset) can get the tire rubbing the fender.

There are guys on here that run 34 inch tall tires with just a level with your car.

Where are these guys?

@STORMIN08 @George B @Bigkevschopshop @Sparksalot @07Burb @Doubeleive @iamdub

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score

A 17” wheel will fit. I was messing around with the spare from thecopcar on thethirdtwin shortly after I bought it. Stock PPV wheel From my 2011.

IMG_4438.jpegIMG_4439.jpegIMG_4440.jpeg

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here, running 17s and 18s on ours. What I was trying to get across is that the factory 18 x 8.5 for your generation truck has an offset of 25mm. To my way of thinking, pushing the wheel out an inch (0 offset) can get the tire rubbing the fender.

There are guys on here that run 34 inch tall tires with just a level with your car.

Where are these guys?

@STORMIN08 @George B @Bigkevschopshop @Sparksalot @07Burb @Doubeleive @iamdub
@Jimbowattz I have 18x9 on mine tire is 285/65/18, so roughly 33. It does have a small level to the front. I’d guess an inch, but I’m not sure because it was there when I bought the truck.

Big Bend pics for size and just for fun.

IMG_9119.jpegIMG_9117.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jimbowattz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate all the responses. I know the 17 will fit and the tire size I'll go with won't be a problem for me.

But I'm primarily looking for help on the offset/backspacing question.

Specifically: will a 17 inch, 8.5 wide wheel with 25mm offset and 5.7 inch backspacing fit?

OP
OP
J

Jimbowattz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well.... Couldn't find anything conclusive so I bit the bullet and ordered one wheel to test fitment before buying all four. Once it ships and I can confirm, I'll post results back here in case it helps anyone else down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar