16 Suburban @ 150k miles - what to know

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwils1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All- new to the forum here but about to secure my first suburban. I have an acquaintance selling a 2016 LTZ with 150k miles, only owner, but I’m a bit nervous about the transmission issues I’ve read about online for 2015 and 2016 years. Quoted my local shop and would expect replacement at about $5600.

Anything I should be aware of going into the sale besides driving it and looking for leaks, slippage, and overall smoothness of shifting?

Even if these years have documented issues I see that a lot are addressed before this mileage level so I wonder if this might be a good sign.

Thanks all!

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Tahoe that I bought brand new. Now have 158K miles. I replaced the transmission at 125K miles at the dealer,replaced the a/c Condenser at the dealer at 80K miles and brake booster at 70K miles. Thermostat went out at 150K miles. I have no plans on selling it.

If those things were not done yet that might be a issue for you.

Make sure you get all service records or as much as you can.

Welcome from Miami&NYC!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

These trucks can approach 300k miles in their lives, if they are well maintained.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned Escalades since 1999. I would say that the transmission will not last more then 160k unless the transmission fluid was changed at 45k by the dealer. You could only try to prevent your transmission from failure with more than 100k. Transmission cooler & if the owner fixed the transmission TSB with the cooler thermostat. I would stay away from the 8-speed. The six speed doesn’t last more than 160k. There are some that got lucky and got 200k out of their transmission but that is a small number. The engine is good for 170k-200k. 150k is allot of miles for a suburban which requires the transmission to work more than the Tahoe. If you could get the 10-speed you would be better off.

OP
OP
J

Jwils1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks all.. Great thoughts and very helpful. I just got some detail on the car; the transmission was rebuilt at around 85,000 miles, so that may bring some extra life there (and per the comments above, earlier in its life where I'll be able to maintain it better via transmission fluid changes, etc.).

Interesting development: Yesterday when I was about to test drive it the owner (seems very honest and straightforward, so I anticipate this was in fact legit) said that the car threw a cylinder misfire code. He has it in with the dealer right now and they are replacing one of the fuel injectors now.

My first thought was whether the other fuel injectors are likely to start failing as well or if it can be more sporadic and random. If so I might build that into the negotiation when I test drive later this week.

If anyone has thoughts on that I'd be interested to hear, otherwise I appreciate all the input thus far. Cheers all.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably lifter failure which is common on these trucks because of the AFM. It is not if the lifter collapses, it’s when the lifter collapses. If he got a code it may be the camshaft that got damaged as well. The fuel injector is unlikely to fail. I would ask him to foot the bill at the dealer for the lifter job which is close to 5-7k. You will be better off buying this truck because you will get a 2 year unlimited mile warranty from the dealer and the updated parts. The dealer uses the updated vlom and lifters so you won’t have to worry about this in the future. The dealer changes this probably 5-10x a week so they got experience doing this. I would ask him to tell the dealer to change the spark plugs while they are at it.

L8T BURB

Reaction score
Welcome from KY! I think there are many variables to consider here. How much are you purchasing the Suburban for? How would you feel if a $6-$8k repair bill was to unexpectedly fall into your lap? Would you still feel like it was a good buy? Test drives sometimes go so smoothly because as a buyer, we are already excited at the "new to us" thought of the vehicle and may not be quite as alert to issues as we'd like to be.

I ask because of my journey, which I'll map out as short and sweet as I can...

May 2023 - Purchased 2015 Suburban w/184k miles for $17,500
June 2023 - Various repairs done at home (liftgate actuators, drivers door lock switch, shark-fin antenna, thermostat, water pump) totaling around $400.
Late June 2023 - Significant lifter tick present after oil change (suspecting the previous owner used all the tricks to minimize this sound before trading to the dealer I purchased from)
Early July 2023 - Transmission starts showing signs of significant issues (shift delay, extensive TC shuttering, etc)
July 2023 - Engine completely dies. Cylinder 4 lifter totally collapses

My Suburban is now awaiting an engine and transmission, looking to spend in the neighborhood of $10k when all is said and done.

I say all that to say this....

As much as I hate to spend this money, I still feel like I got a relatively good deal considering that I purchased it at (what I felt like) was such a low price compared to what else was and is on the market.

Common failures you may see....

1. Engine failure due to AFM/DOD systems
2. Trans failure due to a poorly designed trans that runs hotter than it should at all times
3. Compass/navigation failure due to shark fin antenna taking in water and shorting out
4. Rear liftgate shocks failing due to the left side shock (which houses the actuator) failing

If you made it this far...I hope this helps!

duke90

Reaction score
About to turn 120K on mine. Replaced AC Condenser. I have the 8spd trans and no issues so far..have had the trans fluid flushed 3x already so not sure if that is helping prolong the life. Don't have any issues with the AFM yet but I also change the oil every 4-5k miles and only run 91 fuel. Great rig though and perfect for hauling around 3 kids and not having to worry so much about getting squashed like a pancake if I get rear-ended.

kilbooky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yooooo I'm so glad I found this thread. Not to coopt OPs thread but I feel like I'm in the same boat. 2016 LTZ Burb 5.3L 6 speed. Had every option possible. Bought used at 104k miles around this time in 2022 for roughly $37k

The truck is beautiful. I hope I can get to 300k, but the road looks bumpy. At 115k mi, back in July I was getting that good Ole P030x code for the cylinder misfire. Only saw it on the highway so i left alone A week later, I was taking kids to camp when the gears started slipping. Unfortunately I've had enough Hondas during their bad transmission years to know what that meant.

Took to shop and was quoted $6500 for a new transmission. Yikes. I went onward though, consoling myself with two facts: 1) equivalent 12th gen suburbans are still selling for over $60k used, so I still "saved", and 2) it's a Jasper Trans with a warranty.

The big suv rides fine now, but I still have the cylinder code. Based on what yall are saying I need to ante up for that as well...

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see an ac condenser replacement in your future since you have not mentioned it already. Factory ones are no bueno. It’s not a matter of will it fail, but when.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo