10L80 - filled transmission at wrong temp???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2 10 speeds have been fantastic.
Agreed. This was my experience before mine went down the drain. Again, its failure was mostly my fault because I did not possess the knowledge nor had the tools to do the transmission fluid change. As stated earlier, my new one will get a full service (transmission fluid/filter) every 30k miles, no exceptions.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDK if it was you maybe just bad luck on that one. My tech friend said they dont get crazy with the temp when they do a filter and fluid. Just start, warm and overflow then cap it off he said. He also said he changes his every 30-40K.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: they've had my transmission since the 8th, even though I've been reaching out to them constantly via email and phone. :rolleyes: I just dropped it off with them, and told them to check the radiator, cooler lines (as they insisted there was nothing wrong with it), but I have an email thread stating such, so if there is, they'll be liable.

They'll look at the radiator, cooler lines, replace the transmission, and check for another leak which is there (oil or diff fluid) and rectify it.

I'll know something later this week before I go on travel.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: they pressure tested the radiator and transmission cooler, and found no fault, leaks, or any blockages in the cooling system. They recommended to leave the radiator alone. I have it in writing, so if anything happens, it will be on them.

Transmission was pulled, and while they are at it, they are also addressing an annoying oil leak I had. Their initial thought was that it was the rear main seal. They just confirmed it is not, and that it was actually the oil pan gasket. They are going to change that, and install the new transmission.

This will most likely be done and since I will be gone for 2 weeks, will have to update then. Until then, that's what we've got going on.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They recommended to leave the radiator alone. I have it in writing, so if anything happens, it will be on them.
I'd clarify this with them, preferrably in writing, that if your radiator fails in some way after the vehicle gets back on the road, they will warranty anything that is damaged/destroyed as a result of the radiator leaking or failing in some way. If there is some sort of warranty on that pressure test itself, how long it lasts.

Ive not seen or heard of a warranty or guarantee based solely on the test/ecal of a pre-existing part, shops only warranty a part they replace.

Perhaps they have an opportunity to clarify, but I'd definitely ask if it's not addressed at the time you pick up the vehicle.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Final update:

Got my truck back yesterday. Engine oil leak was fixed, radiator flushed, trans cooler lines flushed and checked for leaks, and new transmission installed.

As for the issue: shuddering is completely eliminated. New transmission shifts slightly hard very rarely, but that's most likely because it needs to learn/adapt to my driving style. No more shuddering to speak of. All gear shifts up or down are as smooth as can be. Dealership confirmed in writing that if the transmission would fail due to the radiator, it would be covered under warranty, but not the radiator (which is to be expected).

All is well. I guess I'll never know what failed in the old transmission, but all I can do is look forward to the future, and ensure that this doesn't happen again. Transmission will be serviced dutifully at every 30k miles.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just inspected a 2019 Yukon Denali last week with a 10 speed transmission pump whine (cavitation) and simultaneous 6.2 liter lifter failure at only 69,000 miles :eek:

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just inspected a 2019 Yukon Denali last week with a 10 speed transmission pump whine (cavitation) and simultaneous 6.2 liter lifter failure at only 69,000 miles :eek:
That's just crazy. I guess it was never maintained.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660