09 Tahoe - Wireless Headphones only plays on right side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Movie, radio, Bluetooth, etc. on the main speakers sounds perfect.

Part of why i thought headphones were the issue to begin with.
Once fixed, we have 3 1/2 pairs.

I even thought about turning two headphones into one...
:jester:

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I went out to try it again.
Sure enough, no change no matter where i sit in relation to the rf

I also tried the headphone jack again, then noticed that my headphones are fkd.

I'll try and find another set...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Ken, I would pull the headunit out enough to check the rca connectors on the back for the a/v out, you can verify at that point if the issue is a bad connection after the headunit by plugging the right into the left and see if you still have left side audio and then go from there. I would guess the issue is most likely a disconnected rca as that would be the easiest thing to come undone.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went out to try it again.
Sure enough, no change no matter where i sit in relation to the rf

I also tried the headphone jack again, then noticed that my headphones are fkd.

I'll try and find another set...
If you have a friend that has the RSE, try your headphones in their vehicle just to make sure your sets are good.

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Hoping I'll have some time this weekend to mess with the system.
I'm also looking at that tech2 pretty seriously right now, but it's going to wait for another two weeks at least.
...but this weekend who knows, a few beers in and not sober me likes to buy sober me gifts (not sober me is very thoughtful)... :D

Feels like i have been forking out money left and right, getting this old Tahoe perfect and ready for a nice long lake trip with the boat.
I really only want the headphones working should my wife's siblings kids come along...
So other than that part of me that likes to tinker and get everything 100% working, it's a low priority.
But checking the unknown of the connections that the installer may have made, is a bit higher on the list. ;)

Seeing just the wiring of the backup camera has me concerned...

Red flags,
A cheap pos connector i would expect from a total noob or a hack installer
Wrong sized connector for the wire
wire is totally unsupported
Power tied into god knows what. :confused:

the biggest wtf,
The installer tried to route the wires through the oem location, right above the license plate.
I noticed the exterior trim piece was a bit loose, and there was a good 1/8in gap on the left side...
From what i saw, they ended up damaging the plastic exterior piece and gave up.
So, they ended up drilling a small hole through the lower license plate plastic screw grommet, then routed the wire behind the license plate.
Nothing wrong with that, and the wires are totally invisible when the plate is on...

So I decided to replace the rear badge since it was at the end of it's life, and took the mess apart.
I ended up using a bit of epoxy to repair the damaged screw/bolt mounts since it was pretty fkd.
It's now stronger than ever, and no more gap! :buffer:

Rear camera install Pros,
POS connector was Crimped nicely!
Good use of zip ties.
wire Routing looks pretty good.

Personally every connection i make will be crimped, soldered, and shrink wrapped with marine grade stuff. :angels2:

Back to the headphones.
There are brand new batteries in the original and the aftermarket replacements.
The no name batteries that came with the aftermarket ones tossed in favor name brand (didn't want the cheapies to leak and destroy the headphones).

To pull the HU, it looks like i need to pop off the front trim panel and not the entire surround like in earlier years.
I have the fancy trim, so I'm holding off to either make a tool from plastic, or to purchase a tool made for it.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Hoping I'll have some time this weekend to mess with the system.
I'm also looking at that tech2 pretty seriously right now, but it's going to wait for another two weeks at least.
...but this weekend who knows, a few beers in and not sober me likes to buy sober me gifts (not sober me is very thoughtful)... :D

Feels like i have been forking out money left and right, getting this old Tahoe perfect and ready for a nice long lake trip with the boat.
I really only want the headphones working should my wife's siblings kids come along...
So other than that part of me that likes to tinker and get everything 100% working, it's a low priority.
But checking the unknown of the connections that the installer may have made, is a bit higher on the list. ;)

Seeing just the wiring of the backup camera has me concerned...

Red flags,
A cheap pos connector i would expect from a total noob or a hack installer
Wrong sized connector for the wire
wire is totally unsupported
Power tied into god knows what. :confused:

the biggest wtf,
The installer tried to route the wires through the oem location, right above the license plate.
I noticed the exterior trim piece was a bit loose, and there was a good 1/8in gap on the left side...
From what i saw, they ended up damaging the plastic exterior piece and gave up.
So, they ended up drilling a small hole through the lower license plate plastic screw grommet, then routed the wire behind the license plate.
Nothing wrong with that, and the wires are totally invisible when the plate is on...

So I decided to replace the rear badge since it was at the end of it's life, and took the mess apart.
I ended up using a bit of epoxy to repair the damaged screw/bolt mounts since it was pretty fkd.
It's now stronger than ever, and no more gap! :buffer:

Rear camera install Pros,
POS connector was Crimped nicely!
Good use of zip ties.
wire Routing looks pretty good.

Personally every connection i make will be crimped, soldered, and shrink wrapped with marine grade stuff. :angels2:

Back to the headphones.
There are brand new batteries in the original and the aftermarket replacements.
The no name batteries that came with the aftermarket ones tossed in favor name brand (didn't want the cheapies to leak and destroy the headphones).

To pull the HU, it looks like i need to pop off the front trim panel and not the entire surround like in earlier years.
I have the fancy trim, so I'm holding off to either make a tool from plastic, or to purchase a tool made for it.

Hazard Fraught, I mean Harbor Freight, has plastic interior trim panel tools that work pretty good...
Trim And Molding Tool Set, 5 Pc.
https://www.harborfreight.com/trim-and-molding-tool-set-5-pc-64126.html

The "wood grain" trim has to be pulled from around the center stack, it just pops out with a few clips around the edge.

Then you need a 9/32" socket, extension, ratchet or nut driver to remove the 8 screws that hold everything in.

You have to start at the bottom and remove the buttons for the adjustable pedals, TC, Parking assist, heated washer fluid (if you have it) etc.

Followed by the A/C control panel and finally the HU.

The switches and A/C panel don't need to be unplugged just pull them down out of the way.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Wireless headphones, one side works. Does the truck have monitors in both d/s & p/s headrest or is this an issue with the center pull down screen between the front seats or both?

What was the original level of equipment on the truck for the DVD player(s) and is it equipped with the oe control equipment for the GM stand alone rear headrest DVD headrests (option code AYE)

If the truck has the oem headrest DVD player you’ll need to use the remote to get into the menu on the headrest and verify the the RSE (rear screen entertainment) screen is sourced to that DVD player or the center overhead screen or ...

Again, it all depends on what the original equipment is on the truck. You will need a specific remote to control the factory headrest screens. Search the inter webs like hell for the best price. I also think they’re discontinued. See pic below and be sure that if you purchase a different version than below you can return it.

56cda949518a665ac8765ff07b46e466.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I played with this a little over the weekend.
I have not yet pulled the Head Unit out to take a look to see what was installed etc.

The tv screen is a single that's attached to the roof, folds down etc.

However i did find a good set of headphones to test the jacks out.
Both rear Jacks don't appear to work at all.

Playing around with the replacement/aftermarket wireless headphones...
While testing i noticed that if i have a dvd playing, and the main screen on the pioneer unit has the movie playing as well.
If the headphones have channel "A" selected i get full stereo out of them!
The volume also increases when i turn up the main volume.
With this i also have the main speakers playing the same thing, going up with the headphones... :rolleyes:

if i change the HU to play the radio, i then need to select channel B in order to continue playing the DVD
Channel A will play the radio, pretty much clones what ever the HU has selected
but with the single side playing...

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I also tried to buy one of those tech 2 clones that i had been watching, but they are sold out.
teaches me to share the link to a good price before i buy one. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01