08 Z71 with 295/65/18 Goodyear Duratracs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dexx00420

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FYI on another forum, some one put on the Bilstein 5100s and it wasn't as high as the CCM. Also there was less damping than the Z71 struts, so it was less firm/more roll.

I am personally going through this right now. I thought it'd be a smart move to "kill two birds with one stone" kinda deal and get new shocks and a leveled / higher stance at the same time. Installed them on the 3rd highest and it wasn't level and the 285/17's (Nitto) rubbed like crazy. Dropped down to 265/17's on Duratracs and it still rubs a little.

I wanted to reverse out of the mess and just put a leveling kit on it and as everybody has already mentioned, that option just doesn't exist anymore. I took it to the shop and paid more $$ to get them set on the highest level....still rubs! Just not as much. Now I have to re-evaluate my wheel/backspacing options to get this thing to where it needs and should be.

If I had the option to go back in time, I'd get just a level and replace the shocks later down the road. I'm also in the minority when it comes to the 5100's feel....I honestly don't really notice a difference.

FML :)

RyanTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the finished product!

if anyone has questions just ask because i basically took pictures throughout the entire process

I was wondering if you have had any issues with the front bumper since removing that lower black plastic piece that on my Z71 supports the front bumper caps. Can you post some pictures of the area before and after you removed that piece
Thank you

OP
OP
emann_01

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i believe this is what you are talking about/looking for.

This is what I did for a quick fix. The zip tie was in place for about a week and then i made up a small L bracket with a few holes drilled through it. A couple of bolts, lock washers, and nuts...job done.

Attachments

• P3292920.JPG
    P3292920.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 134

RyanTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i believe this is what you are talking about/looking for.

This is what I did for a quick fix. The zip tie was in place for about a week and then i made up a small L bracket with a few holes drilled through it. A couple of bolts, lock washers, and nuts...job done.

I was actually referring to the webbed plastic piece that use to drop down below the front bumper caps. I want to remove that piece but I dont want the bumper to be flimsy because of removing them
Do you have any photos of what you fabbed up to replace that piece?
I do some off roading and I see those caps being a hinderance sooner than later. I would rather remove them than rip them off.
Thank you for the help on this

sugarloafer95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i will say that the sidewall flex is more than the stock duelers but it is not so bad that i cant stand it

one thing i dont get is that now (after leveling and tires) my traction control cuts power when i floor it when cruising at about 60???? i know for a fact the tires are not slipping at those speeds!

any thoughts? sidewalls or tread deforming to make the TCM think its slipping??? i dont know

First off, your rig looks great, well done! Secondly, where you ever able to determine cause or solution to this TC issue? I have the same truck just a few years newer and about to pull the trigger on some new rubber and this concerns me a bit as I'm a northerner and drive frequently in adverse weather conditions. Thanks in advance

OP
OP
emann_01

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was actually referring to the webbed plastic piece that use to drop down below the front bumper caps. I want to remove that piece but I dont want the bumper to be flimsy because of removing them
Do you have any photos of what you fabbed up to replace that piece?
I do some off roading and I see those caps being a hinderance sooner than later. I would rather remove them than rip them off.
Thank you for the help on this

I dont have any pics right now and I am currently out of the country for a few months for work. I know the plastic webbed piece you are talking about and it was replaced with the L bracket that I was explaining before.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

First off, your rig looks great, well done! Secondly, where you ever able to determine cause or solution to this TC issue? I have the same truck just a few years newer and about to pull the trigger on some new rubber and this concerns me a bit as I'm a northerner and drive frequently in adverse weather conditions. Thanks in advance

The issue has gone away. I think the fix was airing the tires up to 45-55 psi (as they should be) and the side walls wont flex upon sudden acceleration. I think the sidewall twist/wrap caused the traction control to think it was slipping.

Everything i have heard about these tires has been positive and my experience is the same. I have also heard from some other folks that drive in adverse conditions on a regular basis and they say nothing is better. Good luck shopping!

JarRod73

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hey i would more pics and any steps you took. going to put 35/12.50r20 on my 07 yukon witch has a 3.5 inch lift. Do you ever have any problems with the rear tire rubbing going over bumps?

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't tell you how many times I've come back to this thread and looked at your tahoe :). I wish they made a 285/65/18. I love these tires but don't want to do that much trimming and modification. You're ride looks amazing! :hail:

BG_Aggie08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sick truck

the finished product!

if anyone has questions just ask because i basically took pictures throughout the entire process

First off, Gig Em! Class of 2008 here. Truck looks sick man. Well done.

I'm considering doing something similar with my 08 Z71, but have a question for you. Do you think there will be Cali Lean or squatting with just the CCM 2.5/1" kit? (my truck is 100% stock right now) I really like the look you've achieved, but if I can do that without bringing the ass of the truck up too much, I'd go that route. I'm leaning more towards the 285 tire over the meatier 295 right now for the sheer fact I don't really want to have to deal with rubbing much.

2 E L O - I'd love your opinion as well as your signature indicates you were running this exact CCM setup.

Thanks so much in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bubba6

Latest posts