08 Tahoe 5v source for Sirius?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlatenight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, My Sirius install is almost complete; antenna is up and neatly hidden, PNP unit is mounted on the dash, cables are routed through the dash. Power is the only thing that remains. The PNP unit needs 5v DC and it came with a 12v plug. I was hoping I could find a 5v source somewhere, preferably only hot with the ignition on, so I could cut the plug off and wire it in directly. But if I have to, I have a female 12v plug that I can wire in, plug in the radio, and hide the whole mess somehow. I was going to use the 12v iginition wire going to the radio so the Sirius will stay on with the radio until I open my door. Anyone know of a good 5v source, or a better way to do this? Any suggestions much appreciated!!

BabyHuey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There wont be a 5v source. You'll ahve to tap power at the ignition harness or at the fuse block. Or if your ok with it and its simple, take apart the plug and take apart the pos and neg funds and extend the wires.

OP
OP
J

jlatenight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Huey, Do you think it's ok to tap into the radio wiring harness for 12v? I don't think the Sirius unit draws very much.

OP
OP
J

jlatenight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I worked on this last night and here's what I did: I probed the two wiring harnesses to the radio and found a yellow wire that was 12v with the motor running, and it stayed on with the ignition off until I opened the door (retained accessory power RAP), so I assume this was a good source for the Sirius unit. WRONG!! When I turned on the iginition my dash lights flickered and the sirius unit wouldn't power on. I quickly unplugged the sirius and it went back to normal but a message said "service airbag"...yikes!! I cleared the message and it seems to be fine now. So I decided to use the regular constant on power to the radio instead. That works fine, but it seems there's always power going to the sirius unit now. There's a little green light on the 12v plug of my sirius unit and I'm wondering how much power its using. Any idea how long it would take to kill my battery with the sirius unit off but that little green light on?

I read you can use the sunroof circuit for a good 12v source on the RAP circuit. I don't have a sunroof. I pulled down the console with the two map lights on the ceiling and probed that harness, and I found a wire (pink I think) that seemed to be on the RAP circuit, but I was afraid to try it given my first try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Naileddown