08 Hybrid Tahoe Still Stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tina

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has Chevy ever figured out why the Hybrids stall out? I'm tired of bringing mine into the shop, getting expensive repairs, and then the next time I'm driving it, it stalls at a light. Nearly had a bad accident in stop and go freeway traffic on the Atlanta perimeter, and now I stalled turning left onto a highway right after dropping $1700 to "fix" the problem.

Enough! There is something wrong with this model. I've replaced the battery too many times now too, like other here.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a common problem for it to "stall out"? I have only had my 09 Tahoe Hybrid with 199k miles for about 2 months and 3,000 miles and so far it has never stalled out? Do you think it might be the gas engine failing to start when it goes from battery power to gas engine? If that is the case you may just need a gas engine tuneup (plug/coils/fuel system cleaning/fuel pump etc) The Hybrid vehicles seem to totally confuse most Mr Goodwrenches that have not dealed with them. I was reading a forum thread recently where an owner was trying to get a Hybrid fixed and the first 3 repair shops could not figure out that the fuel pump was bad. They actually believed that the engine started and ran for a few seconds and shut off when in fact the engine never started at all, what they were seeing was the Hybrid battery spinning the engine at around 800 rpm for several seconds then shutting down because the engine did not start. he Hybrid battery spins the engine at a much higher RPM than a regular starter and for several seconds! The guy that repaired it (4th one to work on it and the ONLY one that knew what he was doing) installed a new fuel pump and they were good to go. Maybe you need to try to locate an experienced Hybrid repair shop? Atlanta is a large city there has to be a Hybrid specialty shop around there somewhere? Here is a link from a quick internet search these guys seem to have good reviews?
https://local.demandforce.com/b/atlantahybridrepair

Tahoehybrid18

Reaction score
I have just bought a used 08' Tahoe Hybrid myself and am experiencing a similar issue. However, mine has only really ever manifested itself when the engine is cold, and usually only during the first few minutes of my drive. For me, Im thinking it is the throttle body, as the engine is running the entire time, but when i got to accelerate nothing happens, RPM's stay the same, so I know its not a Aux Pump fluid issue.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atlanta is a large city there has to be a Hybrid specialty shop around there somewhere

take it to a Toyota dealer they know more about them
all hybrid systems are the same. the bid advantage the tahoe has is 4x4 and standard auto for the engine

Last edited:

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had two codes simultaneously pop up and right after I had (what I can only describe as) a semi stall at takeoff from a dead stop. Codes POAC4 and POBBD which indicate a hybrid battery issue. This probably has nothing whatsoever to do with it but the codes came up right after I was using the rear power supply to run an air compressor (probably just a coincidence) I had the truck running when I used the rear power outlet. Ran the compressor for about 7 to 10 minutes airing up someones tire for them. Codes went away after a couple of drive cycles and have not come back yet. I have driven around 500 miles since the "incident" but now I am like super sensitive to any jerk jolt etc that I feel and I am for sure making sure the coast is clear before popping out onto a busy roadway. Anyway I ordered myself a New Hybrid battery (with all new modules not a cobbled together Frankenstein used one) which should be in around next Friday. Hopefully that solves all problems.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has Chevy ever figured out why the Hybrids stall out? I'm tired of bringing mine into the shop, getting expensive repairs, and then the next time I'm driving it, it stalls at a light. Nearly had a bad accident in stop and go freeway traffic on the Atlanta perimeter, and now I stalled turning left onto a highway right after dropping $1700 to "fix" the problem.

Enough! There is something wrong with this model. I've replaced the battery too many times now too, like other here.

you need to find a real mechanic seems like they guy your taking it to is pulling you leg and stealing your money..... I'm lucky to have a legitimate mechanic he is really good at what he does... and he does hybrids most mechanics are afraid to work on "hybrids" because of the HIGH VOLTAGE

350 volts DC is nothing to worry about IT's AC or alternating current is something to worry about..

He works on them other wise I would not buy it....

I know the stall thing you are talknig about it happened on a 2009 i test drove I did not buy it .. It was unexpected and almost caused a crash..

it lagged from the electric to motor switch over...

on the 2008 2wd I Bought does not experience this issue.. it has 84,100 miles on it

V4 and v8 and electric the 3 modes works smoothly as well as smooth translation from electric to engine mode and v4 or v8
as well as the lifters are smooth (it had frequent oil changes they really took care of it tell the could not pay the payment any more)

I just wish I could adjust some options on when it "auto stops" the 25mph auto stop cut off is too low I wish it was around 35mph when you take your foot off the gas this would work very well since my local speed limits are mostly 40 to 60mph in my area (live in the desert) it would be way more optimized for me...

it works fine when it's cold out the engine was ice cold last night we had a low of 30F and snowed and it fired right up did not even struggle..

if you are having issues with starting up I would check the MASS air flow sensors use the correct cleaner for mass air flow and ALSO check the air filter make sure it's clean

you should be diagnosing this at a start up issue rather then a hybird drive issue

How to Fix a Car that Cranks Too Long

Last edited:

mtown27

Reaction score
Change the hybrid torque control module and pigtail. Takes about 2 hours max.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE