06 Tahoe Z71 Headlight Auto Sensor Slow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Syzygyone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I am having trouble with the headlight ambient light sensor. Even if the vehicle is in bright morning sunlight, unless it is directly into the sun, the sensor does NOT turn off the headlights for quite a few minutes. Today it took almost thirty minutes and then only when driving into the 8:00 a.m. sunrise on a clear day. if it is cloudy, it takes even longer. I found a post on this site that mentions GM#22724772 and connector GM# 12085535. I presume that it goes to the little dome sensor on dash that blinks red? Correct. Any guidance on how to test, clean and or replace that part or pictures will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Syzygyone

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for answers as well...mine kinda acts the same way but might have to do with my windows being tinted......I'm sure somebody will chime in with an answer

jhacker5150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I am having trouble with the headlight ambient light sensor. Even if the vehicle is in bright morning sunlight, unless it is directly into the sun, the sensor does NOT turn off the headlights for quite a few minutes. Today it took almost thirty minutes and then only when driving into the 8:00 a.m. sunrise on a clear day. if it is cloudy, it takes even longer. I found a post on this site that mentions GM#22724772 and connector GM# 12085535. I presume that it goes to the little dome sensor on dash that blinks red? Correct. Any guidance on how to test, clean and or replace that part or pictures will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Syzygyone

I have the same year, make, and model and have thought to myself the same thing. In my opinion, mine is not bothersome enough (yet) to replace it or dig further into it. I did however find some instructions from all data that I believe are verbatim to what a GM Tech would see (possibly?). You may be able to reach the sensor by removing your radio/headunit and reaching behind it.

It sounds like you have the part numbers - I couldn't find any to cross reference them with; you can always check at your local stealership! As for it's poor performance, perhaps the sensor has deteriorated being out in UV light for prolonged periods, also perhaps there's condensation build up inside effectively dimming the input. Curious to hear what you find out if you pursue this.

Cheers (instructions below)

"AMBIENT LIGHT SENSOR REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE
1. Remove the instrument panel top cover.

2. Disconnect the electrical connector (1) to the ambient light sensor on the underside of the IP top cover.

3. Turn the ambient light sensor 1/4 turn and remove it from the IP top cover.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE
1. Install the ambient light sensor to the underside of the IP top cover, turning it 1/4 turn to secure it in place.

2. Connect the electrical connector (1) to the ambient light sensor on the underside of the IP top cover.

3. Install the instrument panel top cover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warock56

Latest posts