06 Tahoe won't start, extremely cold weather.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DSpice

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hoping someone has a special trick to help me out. I have an 06 Tahoe, AC Delco battery that was installed a year and a half ago, but keep in mind that was while i was living in California and now am residing near Toronto. It's -31 celcius out today. Went out to start the truck and I can hear the starter clicking. No turn over. The display was flashing up messages such as "check stability, check washer fluid, check brakes" My guess is that the sensors or computer are so cold that its not reading anything properly. The cluster started to do some flickering as well, and I could hear an odd clunking noise while I had the key turned to on (not ignition).

Unfortunately this truck doesn't have a block heater installed. It has warmed up a bit outside, but still no luck.

I thought maybe trying to do boost from my other vehicle might help, but I haven't tried that either.

Like any owner I'm afraid of doing any sort of damage to the truck.

Thanks for your help.

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Just realized I posted this in the 07 and up section. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Jeff Wilson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your battery most likely needs to be replaced, your voltage is below proper operating range which is the reason as to why you are getting all of the error messages. Also, have a block heater installed.

Dave01

Reaction score
Agree completely with above poster. For now just jump it, when you attach the cables wait 10 minutes to let the running car heat and charge the battery a bit, then start up the Tahoe. After the 1st start you may get lucky and have it start for the rest of the day but keep some cables with you.

Yes to a block heater, also when you replace the battery buy one with high rating for CCA, in the 850 range or even higher depending on what will fit.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Low voltage will give off all kinds of error messages....even though your battery is only 1 1/2 years old it may be no good. Try jumping it and then have it load tested to be sure.

Mine just gave up yesterday. Been cranking really slow the last few times when it has been below zero(and it is in the garage too). replaced with a new one and she cranks up no problem. Gonna put it to the test come Sunday Monday and Tuesday. We have forecasted temps down to -20 F and highs that wont even break 0. Good luck ;)

OP
OP
DSpice

DSpice

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I went and purchased a battery charger with an engine start/boost feature on it. The battery showed low but not dead when i first plugged it in, likely from me trying to turn it over. I let the battery charge for about fifteen minutes on a regular charge, switched it over to the battery boost and truck started up no problem. Took it for a long drive, let it sit for a few hours, by then it was even colder and it started up again just fine.

This morning it started up great again. I'm hoping it just need the extra 100amps of boost to get it going do to the extreme cold. I noticed this battery only has 770 cold cranking amps, so apparently that was not enough for the -31 celcius we experienced.

If it happens again I'll definitely be swapping the battery out for something stronger, but for now I'll leave as is.

Definitely going to get a block heater installed. I cringe at the thought of doing any damage to this truck since it was use to 80+ degree weather most of its life before coming here.

Thanks again.

Dave01

Reaction score
770 CCA should be enough if the battery is in good shape. Depending on how soon you plan to get the block heater installed, a stop-gap is to put an electric battery blanket around the battery, and plug that in, the warm battery will have quite a bit more starting power.

My 2010 started right up last night in -15, though it had only sat for 3 hours. This morning started fine in -8, not even a hint of slow cranking. I'm very happy with it!

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even in deep cold you'd be hard pressed to hurt the truck unless you stomp on it right out of the gate without giving everything time to warm up, or you're not running the correct viscosity oil. Look into a 0w-30 or 0w-40 for temps that low, most carry the same protection rating as normal 5w-30 but minimize startup wear in cold weather. Block heaters are good for getting the coolant up to temp and circulating, but keep in mind that even with a block heater and pre-heating the engine, the t-case, diffs and transmission are still stone cold until you get the truck moving and they have a chance to warm up a little. Take it easy on the gas pedal for about 10 minutes after you start driving to give everything a chance to warm up a bit and you're good.

As for the battery, I agree w/ Dave - 770CCA should be plenty to get going even in sub zero weather. It's possible that it's going bad, even if it's relatively new. It happens. Get it load tested and replace it if necessary - don't skimp, get a high quality replacement.

kalahanmario

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Either that or the cold could have discharged your battery and needs charging. Possibly changing.

Dave01

Reaction score
Wasn't there a post here last night about an in-line block heater? Not sure why it got deleted, or maybe I'm losing my mind!

One thing I forgot to mention - even if they look clean, disconnect both battery cables, clean the battery and cable terminals, and re-connect. Can't hurt and if one is dirty it will really affect the starting power.

OP
OP
DSpice

DSpice

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the help. The cold discharged the battery, I have since purchased a battery blanket which has kept it from happening again. I should have taken care of this before the first winter back here. You live and you learn I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bell45