04 Tahoe Z71 Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LTG515

Reaction score
Thought I would slap together a little thread for the work I’ve been doing, and will be doing, on my 04 Tahoe Z71. I got it with 142k miles on it as a daily driver and am wanting to turn it into a light off roader.

I don’t have any pictures of it stock when I first got it, but I had to replace the instrument cluster right off the bat.

First step was taking the running boards off for a little more clearance and a cleaner look. I also turned the torsion keys up just a little to come level. Didn’t need any re-indexed keys. I’ll be wanting to put some sliders on in the future.

2e481e7baa183ce28ca2951ce0d4c8a4.jpg
ea0d0beef3c347bda5575f844bd46ed1.jpg

Next thing I wanted was a new bumper. I didn’t like any of the commercially available options for these Tahoes, so thankfully I’ve got a brother in law who’s a great fabricator. Went for a hybrid style bumper. It’s essentially done, just need to paint it up. I’ll be painting it with raptor bed liner.

3544bf226ec856a56b3acc2aacd7d960.jpg
cd4227743eec8627cf83ed747244afa4.jpg
04a666256ed8241a5e4429dbf59f8501.jpg

Speaking of raptor bed liner, I started to paint my fender flares with it, but I grossly underestimated how much I would go through and I ran out. HA! Spraying this stuff isn’t too bad now that I’ve done it once, but the inaugural spray was pretty stressful! I’ve ordered some more so I can finish the rest of the fender flares and the bumpers, and the next go will be less stressful.

42bb8c932c5c6a3a475048ab34729417.jpg
742cc3d32485d8b2e5c02873ea4188dc.jpg

I also did a couple electrical things. Got Apple car play which is super nice, put in a reverse camera, and did a little DRL and headlight replacement/mod.

239f6f49bffd3c9180f2c6dee2dc45b7.jpg
9b6fd4a8e6a880889f7fc0d400ca1b1e.jpg
e81aa7c273830642769de47f75745af2.jpg
2e2eba8cdb2c42950cfa2bda76e5b35c.jpg

Some things on the horizon:
I’ve got a suspension refresher coming soon. Ordered Bilstein 5100s all the way around, new bumps, and new coil springs in the back. Those should be here soon and will update. Also hoping to put some 285/70r17 (33s) Grabber ATx’s on once I get some tax return money haha! I’ll also update when that happens as well. I currently rub the rear wheel well liner at full flex (even with 265s) so I’ve read I may need wheel spacers to avoid that if going with a bigger tire. I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.

This forum has already been super helpful for me with figuring some things out, so I wanted to make this for others to read through if interested and also to continue to get some great advice from you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

LTG515

Reaction score
Welcome, and great start! I'm running the ATX in a 275/70r18 and they have been great.

Oh very nice! I feel 275 is an ideal width, just wish they had a 33 with those dimensions in a 17. I think it’d be like 275/75 17 or something but those aren’t options hah.

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job! Thanks for posting pictures of what you've done so far. I look forward to seeing more as you move through it. I recently bought a 2005 Tahoe and I've been going through it and fixing all the issues I bought it with (airbag sensors, replacement of heater core, O2 sensors, breaks, tires, etc) and this forum has been immensely helpful.

I really like what you did with those fender flares and I think I'm going to do the same thing. Did you take them off to spray them or just leave them in place? I'm fixing to take my running boards off too. I'd like to find a good used set for tubular nerf bars as a replacement. I'm on the lookout for those. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LTG515

Reaction score
Nice job! Thanks for posting pictures of what you've done so far. I look forward to seeing more as you move through it. I recently bought a 2005 Tahoe and I've been going through it and fixing all the issues I bought it with (airbag sensors, replacement of heater core, O2 sensors, breaks, tires, etc) and this forum has been immensely helpful.

I really like what you did with those fender flares and I think I'm going to do the same thing. Did you take them off to spray them or just leave them in place? I've fixing to take my running boards off too. I'd like to find a good used set for tubular nerf bars as a replacement. I'm on the lookout for those. :)

Hey thanks! I left the fender flares on and just taped carefully because I heard that the double sided tape holding them on is really hard to clean off. I didn’t want to have to take them off, have a hard time cleaning the old tape goo, then use new tape to put them back on. It would make for an easier spray for sure, but just something I decided not to do.

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks! I left the fender flares on and just taped carefully because I heard that the double sided tape holding them on is really hard to clean off. I didn’t want to have to take them off, have a hard time cleaning the old tape goo, then use new tape to put them back on. It would make for an easier spray for sure, but just something I decided not to do.

Well, you did an excellent job. I wish also wish I had a brother-in-law that could make cool looking for things like that. My brother-in-law is a dud. ;)

I'll probably pull my fenders off with the stone guard, and bumpers off to spray them. I love that all-black look. Keep posting pictures as you move along!

Last edited:

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Quick question for you... You said you didn't buy enough of the Raptor spray. How much would you say you'd need for just the 4 fender flares?

OP
OP
L

LTG515

Reaction score
Quick question for you... You said you didn't buy enough of the Raptor spray. How much would you say you'd need for just the 4 fender flares?

I initially bought this:

Custom Coat Black 0.875 Gallon Urethane Spray-On Truck Bed Liner Kit with Spray Gun with Regulator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FFIIHHU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_S-kmEbMMV8B23

4 bottles of black, one bottle of hardened, and one gun. Custom coat is the same as raptor. Under the same overarching company. This gave me enough to do my front 2 fender flares and my rear bumper plastic trim pieces. I ordered another set of this which I’m sure I’ll be able to finish everything in. I think what makes you go through a lot is that it’s recommended to stand pretty far back because of the high pressure, so it causes a lot of wasted over spray. If you’re taking your flares off, that might help you conserve some paint by having the overspray land on the other flares haha.

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! Very helpful! I'm thinking now of just taking them off and running them by a place that does this already. I'm good at mechanical stuff...not so much painting. lol

OP
OP
L

LTG515

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! Very helpful! I'm thinking now of just taking them off and running them by a place that does this already. I'm good at mechanical stuff...not so much painting. lol

For sure! Yea it’s a little stressful not gonna lie haha but it’s doable. Post about how it comes out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE