04 Tahoe LT With BOSE System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got an 04 tahoe lt with the bose system...any guidance to upgrade from this level in music? want louder, cleaner, better quality. where to start?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, establish a budget on how much you are willing to spend long term, and how much you want to spend short term, as you do not have to make the entire upgrade in one shot, if your budget does not permit. But, if you choose to make your upgrade in stages, you will want to plan it out, so that you do not have to re-do any work completed in an early upgrade stage, when you reach a later upgrade stage. I gutted my entire Bose system, and replaced it completely with an aftermarket system.

As SnowDrifter suggests, replace your head unit first, purchasing one that meets your specific feature needs, and fits into your budget. Go to the Crutchfield web site and look at head units and their features, in order to lock in on specifically what features you want, and at what price point.

In most cases, you will need an amplifier to use with your new head unit, if you want more volume to your door and post speakers. You can choose to purchase a 4-channel amplifier (75RMS watts per channel minimum) which will power your door and post speakers, and a 1-channel monoblock amplifier (300RMS watts minimum) which will power your subwoofer. Or, you can purchase a 5-channel amplifier which will power both door and post speakers and the subwoofer, all in one amplifier. While you are at the Crutchfield site, you can look at amplifier options, as well as subwoofer options.

(I'm not in any way connected with, or receive any compensation, from Crutchfield. I suggest Crutchfield, as they have a wide assortment of car/truck audio components at various price points that can give you feature ideas and cost estimates. Crutchfield also is accurate in telling you what components will fit in your car/truck, and what components will not fit. Last, Crutchfield offers free advice on how to install any audio components that you may purchase from them.)

I wish you success on your audio system upgrade project.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first upgrade i did when i got the truck was change the head unit i didnt do anything else. id like to do it over time..100-200 dollars here at a time...cant reallt afford to do a complete change off the rip unless its under like 1000 dollars. not sure how much this stuff cost..dont want show class quality but i want it louder and better. this is the head unit i changed the stock one to:

Pioneer Double DIN Car Receiver With Bluetooth - FH-S500BT

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you guys can suggest a good amp, speakers etc for this head unit and what i got installed already...would be great. i listen to alot of hardcore punk, heavy metal and some hoiphop. also alot of reggaeton/dembow. i can start buying pieces little by little to get it done up eventually if i got piece list.

Cliffmeister2000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Yukon XL with 230,000 miles on it. I have had to replace the computer and a significant amount of the wiring harness associated with the computer. Now she runs great! Biggest current issue is the Bose stereo. It only picks up about 6 stations, and only 2 of those are stations I would listen to. CD doesnt work anymore either. I am not interested in blasting the neighborhood with my music, I just want a decent radio. Bluetooth would be nice, or a USB port. Any suggestions?

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
our 03 Denali XL has components In the doors but what looks to otherwise be a stock bose setup and it does much better than I was expecting.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have used Kenwood head units in my past 3 vehicles, and I've had great success with them. There are many models to choose from, with different combinations of features at various price points.

Go to the Crutchfield web site and look at them. While you are there, you can check out other brands, as well, like Pioneer, Alpine, and Sony, all of which make great head units.

You can find more project planning details in my previous post in this thread, dated February 1st.

Good luck!

OB 04Denali

Reaction score
Got an 04 tahoe lt with the bose system...any guidance to upgrade from this level in music? want louder, cleaner, better quality. where to start?
Agree with both of them. Of I an 04 also and just finish redoing everything. Head unit, components, every speaker. Amps subs, all hidden. Takes time and planning but not hard. Like they said, depends on ur budget. Left me know if you have specific questions. I did all the work myself so I know what was done.
Good luck homes!

Dan O

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with both of them. Of I an 04 also and just finish redoing everything. Head unit, components, every speaker. Amps subs, all hidden. Takes time and planning but not hard. Like they said, depends on ur budget. Left me know if you have specific questions. I did all the work myself so I know what was done.
Good luck homes!

Dan O

about how much all that run you in total?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo