03 Tahoe steering issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djbethel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Tahoe, it has been leveled and had nearly every steering/suspension component replaced over time. I've been having a steering problem since I bought the truck that hasn't gone away through various alignments from different shops. The truck drives fine in a straight line, but the steering feels really sensitive to turning it will almost pull into turns once you start making them, but the most annoying issue I am having is that the steering won't center itself on left hand turns, it centers pretty good when you make right hand turns. If you make a left turn it will just continue going in that direction until you center it yourself. Any suggestions for what might be going on here?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Post up the alignment numbers from your last alignment.

Also check the orientation of the center link, pic of correct position in the link below, and you might find other posts in that thread interesting.

OP
OP
D

djbethel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Post up the alignment numbers from your last alignment.

Also check the orientation of the center link, pic of correct position in the link below, and you might find other posts in that thread interesting.

I don't actually have a printout from the most recent alignment unfortunately, it left all in the green for stock specs as far as I could see. I've checked the center link orientation and it's also correct.

Pitman arm, idler arm, idler arm bracket, tie rods and steering box are all new. I've also replaced control arms just last week before this most recent alignment and nothing seems to change the behaviour. Feels like I'm chasing a ghost. :confused:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ball joints new? Is relay rod (AKA Centerlink) positioned correctly? Its ends should point downard and sweep back toward rear of vehicle! How many turns from center to right, center to left and lock to lock? Control arm bushings new? Did some bonehead install the pitman arm out of clock (on a 4 notch gearbox)?

OP
OP
D

djbethel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ball joints new? Is relay rod (AKA Centerlink) positioned correctly? Its ends should point downard and sweep back toward rear of vehicle! How many turns from center to right, center to left and lock to lock? Control arm bushings new? Did some bonehead install the pitman arm out of clock (on a 4 notch gearbox)?
All bushings and balljoints are new, centerlink appears positioned correctly.

OP
OP
D

djbethel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All bushings and balljoints are new, centerlink appears positioned correctly.
1.5 turns for left and the same for right, 3 turns lock to lock. Unsure how to check pitman arm clock, is there an easy way to check?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1.5 turns for left and the same for right, 3 turns lock to lock. Unsure how to check pitman arm clock, is there an easy way to check?
Center steering wheel. Make sure tires are point forward. Pitman arm should be pointing directly forward parallel to chassis.

OP
OP
D

djbethel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Center steering wheel. Make sure tires are point forward. Pitman arm should be pointing directly forward parallel to chassis.
373D4353-2A4E-4877-BE87-4F85711CD2E4.jpeg70819A76-891C-4AFB-BD79-0225618DD7AF.jpegAFBDD2A0-CADD-4738-A5D3-B476240378A1.jpeg488B3A50-5411-41A6-8D6E-7FA30852F27F.jpeg
Looks straight when the steering wheel is centered, the truck also has the Cognito braces so it’s a bit hard to see in the pictures.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that front contraption keeping your relay rod from moving in an arc? You proplems start after you put all that stuff on there?

OP
OP
D

djbethel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike_16_denali