02 Yukon 4x4 - Torsion Bar Adjusting Screws

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Yukonguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm an 02 Yukon 4x4 newbie. I just had 18 inch rear coil springs installed to stiffen my rear suspension for additional cargo weight when towing our new trailer. The factory auto ride has been disconnected and have Bilstein shocks all around. The new springs raised my rear end 1-1/2 inches (37-1/2 inches to rear fender). My front is 3 inches lower (34-1/2 inches to front fender). The two torsion bar adjusting screws have never been moved since the factory set them in 2002. I have about 3/4 inch of threads showing on each adjusting screw. Also my front bump stops are pressing against their stop.

I assume the front and rear suspensions should be equal height to get the best ride.

Can I get 3 inches of height by screwing in the torsion bar screws or will I need to buy new torsion bar keys to get a 3 inch lift?

Really appreciate your help with this, thank you!

Jim

Y

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
Typically from the factory the rear is higher so that it levels out under load. The bump stops you refer to are not actually bump stops but are part of the suspension and are designed to add to the resistance during compression. Technically you can crank your bars up to get some height but you will also be increasing spring rate and this may cause it to ride terrible partially because it will be more stiff and partially because you'll be off of the jounce bumpers. Google torsion bar lift and you'll find what people think of it

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP

02Yukonguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Typically from the factory the rear is higher so that it levels out under load. The bump stops you refer to are not actually bump stops but are part of the suspension and are designed to add to the resistance during compression. Technically you can crank your bars up to get some height but you will also be increasing spring rate and this may cause it to ride terrible partially because it will be more stiff and partially because you'll be off of the jounce bumpers. Google torsion bar lift and you'll find what people think of it

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP

02Yukonguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you Dan. Great to know the factory sets the rear higher. My ride seems okay with the new one inch taller rear coils so I'm thinking best to just leave it as is. I appreciate your explanation. Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC