02 tahoe cargo door fails to unlock during winter months.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My poor old tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had to replace the tail lights on my tahoe a couple of years ago, and because it was winter time I knew my cargo door would not open .
Three years of no winter time access through my cargo door, I knew I would have to get the thing open to replace my tail lights. We figured out how to open the door, replaced my tail lights, closed the door, the door locks cycled automatically when I put it in drive. The door locked and wouldn't unlock. So the first and only thing I did was change my power door lock program to eliminate automatic cycling. . I use my fob or the button, and that seems to have solved my cargo door not unlocking during winter months. Problem seemingly solved.

DutchSchultz

Reaction score
I had to replace the tail lights on my tahoe a couple of years ago, and because it was winter time I knew my cargo door would not open .
Three years of no winter time access through my cargo door, I knew I would have to get the thing open to replace my tail lights. We figured out how to open the door, replaced my tail lights, closed the door, the door locks cycled automatically when I put it in drive. The door locked and wouldn't unlock. So the first and only thing I did was change my power door lock program to eliminate automatic cycling. . I use my fob or the button, and that seems to have solved my cargo door not unlocking during winter months. Problem seemingly solved.
Interesting because my 03 Yukon barn doors only lock and unlock with the key. Power door locks dont seem to effect the barn doors. Is it supposed to ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

My poor old tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
To be honest I'm not familiar with the barn door arrangement on gm suv"s. My Tahoe has a key that fits the button that opens my glass hatch. Turn the key in the opposite direction unlocks my cargo d. oor

DutchSchultz

Reaction score
To be honest I'm not familiar with the barn door arrangement on gm suv"s. My Tahoe has a key that fits the button that opens my glass hatch. Turn the key in the opposite direction unlocks my cargo d. oor
Then you have a regular tailgate. The glass windows don’t open on a barn door suv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I sold my 2002 Tahoe with the barn doors but I know there was a strip of contacts that fed power to the mechanisms instead of the convoluted tubing that would hold wires like your front doors. Those contacts need to be clean and sometimes you can sandpaper them to make a nice shiny contact.

Let me find a pic and I will post it.

Yours might not look exactly like this but will get you close and is at the top when door is open.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=335826&cc=1380372&jsn=1102

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs