01 Tahoe - Rear Bottoming out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5dollar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, I've got a 2001 Tahoe w/ 235k.

It needs shocks all the way around but the rear bottoms out when I hit a small slope or drop in the rode when I've got some speed under her.

I am assuming it needs rear springs, with this kind of mileage, I'm expecting them to need to be replaced.

Any suggestions on which springs to replace and what other components should be done at the same time?

Do we have a walk through or something around for this? I cannot seem to find one.

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score
So, I've got a 2001 Tahoe w/ 235k.

It needs shocks all the way around but the rear bottoms out when I hit a small slope or drop in the rode when I've got some speed under her.

I am assuming it needs rear springs, with this kind of mileage, I'm expecting them to need to be replaced.

Any suggestions on which springs to replace and what other components should be done at the same time?

Do we have a walk through or something around for this? I cannot seem to find one.

You didn't say if your Tahoe is stock or lowered. assuming you are stock Id suggest shocks. If your springs are still holding it up in the rear they are fine. Shocks will only dampen so much though and these trucks have a lot of weight that they throw down on bumps.

OP
OP
5dollar

5dollar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I shouldnt look in to replacing the springs at all then? just the shocks?

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I shouldnt look in to replacing the springs at all then? just the shocks?

If your rear end isn't laying on the ground then your springs should be good. You can replace your shocks for cheap and if it doesn't fix it then you may need to replace the springs.
But, there's no reason to replace both if you don't need to right off the bat. Try shocks first then look at it further and possibly replace springs.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
how much space do you have between teh bumpstops and axle in the rear. If you tell me that I can start with easy step which is free then next step if that doesnt work will start to cost $$

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monster Nali