Z71Versus Standard 4X4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go against the crowd on the looks Z71, something doesn't look right to me. Something about the new lower bumber cover sets the whole truck off balance IMO. That being said the truck is for you so you have to get what you'd be happy with. A lot of people tell me the GMC looks like a hearse, and you know what, I can see it. But I love the front end on it.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might not want to pay all that money and create a "Franken-Tahoe" by having to remove spoilers, add skid plate, swap tires, etc. That's stuff that people typically do over time. Driving a brand new vehicle off the lot and doing that might not be the best thing. Just my opinion.

Who says I drove it of the lot and did all that. Lol
They’re all gm factory parts. I let the dealership install the parts.

There used to be a time you could order these things as options from the factory.

:)

OP
OP
R

Rojo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 18" OEM tires-Michelin Energy Saver A/S don't get the highest reviews-especially in snow (5.0-fair rating).

What's your experience with them?

I have the Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my Silverado, which appears to be a superior tire for the Tahoe.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 18" OEM tires-Michelin Energy Saver A/S don't get the highest reviews-especially in snow (5.0-fair rating).

What's your experience with them?

I have the Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my Silverado, which appears to be a superior tire for the Tahoe.

I have none personally. But that’s why I change my tires right away. I take the 600$ tires that are factory originals, sell them to the dealer or privately for four hundred. Them my dealer offers a buy three get one free tire sale (all the time) pay the difference in the tires. Install them. And I get the tires I want from the beginning.
I don’t see the point in rolling out with something I don’t like when for 300$ more, I can have what I want from the start.

In the scheme of things, luckily for me 300$ on a 65,000 car won’t break me. I’m lucky the mrs and I are not big vacation people. :)

Chris Binder

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've spent a lot of time in Chevy Tahoes. Even did my counter-terrorism driving school in them.

I'm not going to try to sell you on the Z71 even though it is my favorite package. Is it necessary to go off-road? No. The Z71 package is basically the shocks, tires, and skid-plates. You also get the 2-speed transfer case (low range) and the 3.42 gears as well as the front spoiler deleted for extra clearance in the snow. But other than that it's not drastically different from the rest of the line. If you like the look of it great.

A few things to note:

1) The 3.42 gears do make a difference if you drive a lot on back roads and hills.
2) The Duratrac tires are excellent in snow/ice as well as pavement, but the braking distance is compromised a bit.
3) Skip the big 22" wheels. They drive like crap and have too much rotational mass.
4) Keep in mind that having 4WD does not make the Tahoe a good snow vehicle unless it has the right tires. 4WD gets you moving in the snow/ice, but it does nothing to stop you. That's where the right tires come into play.
5) Skid plates may or may not be your friend in heavy snow. It can act as a ramp (good and bad).
6) Try to get the full back seat versus those stupid captain's chairs.

FYI---the Duratrac tires are not uncomfortable. I've had them on 4 vehicles. You just have to learn how they drive. You'll either love them or hate them. But a personnal choice nonetheless. But all in all don't go with wheels any bigger than a 20" on a Tahoe. The 18s are ideal, and the 20s push the envelope a little.

Good luck.

good info... always wondered. the only benefit I really see other than trim package (i usually upgrade suspension and tires anyways) is the gear ratio. mine is horrible with the 3.08 and 35's.

Chris Binder

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In short, get the Z71,

I opted for an LS 4x4 and now regret not getting the Z71 package.

3.42 final drive makes a huge difference, as well as the front spoiler delete.

true, but depending on the sale price, itd be cheaper to regear. i wouldnt spend an extra 3k on a z71 when i could regear for a fraction of that. I like the z71 as well, just :2cents:

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rojo, build one on chevy.com . I would suggest 2017 since the 2018 just came out. Then on the summary page it will list dealer inventory in your area, go test drive.

OP
OP
R

Rojo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The closest Z71 is about 300 miles from me. Lot's of 2017's with the Max Trailering package.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907