To good to be true? / Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
Thats nice deal. My budget was $35k, alot more players out there for $40k and up.
My car is up for sale now, so i should be net in the hole just under 10k which is perfect. Interest rates are obnoxious.

Thats a good question - I am towing 3 times a year about 7500#'s - flat roads a couple of miles each way.
I plan to trailer 2 hours away once a year. no mountain roads.
Thoughts around that?
Towing a 7500lb trailer for 2 hours? That just doesn't sound like a lot of towing if you ask me. Especially with the trailer tow pkg.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
That’s might be why he titled his post To Good to be True.

Sometimes we pack up and take over the campground near San Clemente State beach. That’s two miles away. Occasionally it’s the destination, not the journey.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
Thats nice deal. My budget was $35k, alot more players out there for $40k and up.
My car is up for sale now, so i should be net in the hole just under 10k which is perfect. Interest rates are obnoxious.

Thats a good question - I am towing 3 times a year about 7500#'s - flat roads a couple of miles each way.
I plan to trailer 2 hours away once a year. no mountain roads.
Thoughts around that?
I wouldn't spend any money on a new converter and the cost for R&R of a transmission for that (think 8 hours labor, plus parts, save it for the what-if instead). Use tow/haul and use some common sense and you'll be fine. I've hauled for years with my 6L80 transmissions and haven't has any issues.

DO the thermal bypass for sure. Also make it a habit to get the trans serviced every 40k or so. There are a lot of factors that go into killing a transmission, so control what you can - keep it cool, keep it clean, keep your right foot out of excessive throttle (unless necessary obviously).

Based on the inspection, I feel you got a clean, well cared for vehicle. Use the info provided to save up for needed maintenance items that will be coming due in the next 10-40k miles. As for the potential A/C failure, if it's still holding pressure after 9 years and 40k, you're probably in the clear I would assume.

Also, DO install a RANGE Device, or get a tune to shut off AFM. Make it a point to change your oil every 5k or less and your engine will appreciate it.

OP
OP
D

dualie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wouldn't spend any money on a new converter and the cost for R&R of a transmission for that (think 8 hours labor, plus parts, save it for the what-if instead). Use tow/haul and use some common sense and you'll be fine. I've hauled for years with my 6L80 transmissions and haven't has any issues.

DO the thermal bypass for sure. Also make it a habit to get the trans serviced every 40k or so. There are a lot of factors that go into killing a transmission, so control what you can - keep it cool, keep it clean, keep your right foot out of excessive throttle (unless necessary obviously).

Based on the inspection, I feel you got a clean, well cared for vehicle. Use the info provided to save up for needed maintenance items that will be coming due in the next 10-40k miles. As for the potential A/C failure, if it's still holding pressure after 9 years and 40k, you're probably in the clear I would assume.

Also, DO install a RANGE Device, or get a tune to shut off AFM. Make it a point to change your oil every 5k or less and your engine will appreciate it.
Thanks Btrain for the reply.
Going in today for oil change, trans flush (manual says 45k) I’m at 37,700. might just do it now. Oil cooler lines, and front brakes pads. Probably have to reschedule for Thermal Bypass, forgot to say that.

I hope you’re right on AC condenser. Fingers crossed.

I noticed that the left side of the factory radio touch screen is not working. Only the last 1/4 works touch works.
But Bluetooth still works for music & phone calls.

Looking to replace the factory radio with another 2016-2020 radio with hmi modules. Vs going aftermarket.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim2014