New 4x4 owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Writefast

Reaction score
Hey again. So the new Yuke is a 4x4. I’ve never owned or driven a 4x4. Looking at the service records there was some kind of service done to the transfer case a year or two ago. What should I be doing for maintenance to the 4x4 system? I’ve driven it a bit in 4h, just around a very hilly parking lot, lots of groaning and chassis noise, no actual clue what I’m hearing for the most part but I did for sure hear the front wheels squealing as they hunted for traction so I think the system is functioning. Any input?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just like the other recommendation, a video of noises/concerns would help. "Some kind of service done to transfer case"? Does it say fluid change? What does it say? IMO, when get a new used vehicle, I change all fluids so I know all the ages and eliminate guess work. If you have records that say fluids changed at certain times and the fluid looks ok, then you can decide from there. When you were driving in 4x4, was it on dry pavement? If so, stop that. 4x4 when needed. At the minimum, drive on dry dirt where you can get maybe some slippage. If the 4x4 is used on pavement, it can bind things and cause noises that may not normally be there.

Is it an AWD?

OP
OP
Writefast

Writefast

Reaction score
Just like the other recommendation, a video of noises/concerns would help. "Some kind of service done to transfer case"? Does it say fluid change? What does it say? IMO, when get a new used vehicle, I change all fluids so I know all the ages and eliminate guess work. If you have records that say fluids changed at certain times and the fluid looks ok, then you can decide from there. When you were driving in 4x4, was it on dry pavement? If so, stop that. 4x4 when needed. At the minimum, drive on dry dirt where you can get maybe some slippage. If the 4x4 is used on pavement, it can bind things and cause noises that may not normally be there.

Is it an AWD?
4x4 on pavement and noted. I was mostly testing again that the system was engaging. And I’m going to take your advice on fluids.

OP
OP
Writefast

Writefast

Reaction score
so digging in, dealer did a transfer case service, looks like flush and replace at 119k miles. In 2016.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Wild guess without looking but I think the transfer case service mileage interval is 50k miles. 186k miles now and 119k miles then=67k miles since serviced. If I am right on the mileage interval, is past due for servicing. But again, I am guessing without looking. Check your owner's manual.

I also tend to change fluids at a lesser mileage interval than the manual recommendations.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So it's the 4x4 2-speed transfer case, not the AWD, since they put AutoTrakII fluid in it for the transfer case service.

And no 4HI or 4LO on dry pavement, as noted by @OR VietVet. Test it on a slick or snowy road. Cycle the switch through the modes once a month to cycle the transfer case encoder motor.

Go to the official GM web site and download your owner's manual -- it's free there. Learn how to change the mode to 4LO for when you exercise it or need it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey again. So the new Yuke is a 4x4. I’ve never owned or driven a 4x4. Looking at the service records there was some kind of service done to the transfer case a year or two ago. What should I be doing for maintenance to the 4x4 system? I’ve driven it a bit in 4h, just around a very hilly parking lot, lots of groaning and chassis noise, no actual clue what I’m hearing for the most part but I did for sure hear the front wheels squealing as they hunted for traction so I think the system is functioning. Any input?
Which trim level Yukon? 2007 Denalis are all AWD (All Wheel Drive) and have the L92 motor and 6L80 transmission. The 5.3s and 4.8s run the M30 4-speed transmission and a different transfer case. I think you have the former according to that receipt. Where in Florida are you or the truck from? Treasure Coast here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts