2020 Yukon SLT - Maintenance Interval Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

15burban

Reaction score
Kind of funny to me that they are making oils to go longer and longer between intervals but thanks to the epa and all this cylinder deactivation garbage we are going backwards (somewhat) to shorter oil change intervals. I change mine every 5k in our 5.3 suburban and 6.4 (ram). Both have 4 popper mode. My work beater with 261k miles (pontiac with a 2.2) I've run mobil 1 extended performance at 10k oci and it purrs like a kitten and has never had any oil related problems in the 210k (12 years) I've had it.

OP
OP

2Luckysat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd change oil & filter closer to 3750 miles vs 7500 miles, even if it never tows again.
Remember, your engine is equipped with Cylinder Confusion.
Those two mode lifters don't like dirty oil.
Also, find out which oil filter is longer, and use that one instead of the shorter one.

Since I failed to notice that you tow with it 'occasionally' ...
Ever heard of the severe service maintenance schedule? Yea, use that - at least I would.

If you're lucky enough to have an ATF temp gauge, every time your ATF reaches or exceeds 230F, just change out the ATF, along with the ATF filter.

I'll never change my air filter based on mileage. I hold it up to sunlight.
When it protects my eyes from looking at the sun through it too well, time for a new one.

I change all the brake fluid whenever I replace calipers or brake lines.

The one I don't change 'regularly': power steering fluid.
Whenever I buy a used car, I change the power steering fluid before either the next summer or next winter comes ... then every two years after that.
Thanks Mark been reading up on the 5.3 L83 with AFM (didn't realize I had it)... Sounds like the lifters are the weak spot and 7500 is to long for oil changes

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good info this far. I tend to go by multiples of 5. 5k for oil, 5k for tire rotate, air filter whenever it looks needed - usually 25k or so. Trans service if all highway driving 50k, if hilly/stop and go/trailering then I do 40k. Transfer case, same as trans. Diffentials: rear every 60-70k or so, front every 30-40k (awd denali ones tend to get dirty quicker).

I'm bad at the power steering and brake fluid things, but have made a point to be more proactive on those as needed.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are lucky enough to find a way to electronically disable Cylinder Confusion, it'd be a wise investment.
The confused lifters will still retain their underlying physical weaknesses, but at least they'll avoid having their weaknesses aggravated.

OP
OP

2Luckysat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As Marky said, change that oil more often!

Never forget, the maintenace schedule was written by a company who hopes to sell you your next vehicle, hopefully sooner, rather than later.

At the very least, they hope to gain your service business when it breaks.
Well said Road-trip! Figures don't lie but liars figure

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5K synthetic oil changes with a quality Wix filter from Napa.
Transmission filter/fluid AC Delco every 40K
differentials and transfer case every 30-40K
Brake fluid evry 2 yrs

This will keep you going far into the future.

Oh I forgot to add, NO quick change oil places. Bulk oil, and too much incompetence, and scams. Don't just feel good about paying for maintenance....make sure the correct fluids and filters are actually what's going into and on your car!! This is an entire other issue with shady shops and low level workers.

Last edited:

Ohannon7

Reaction score
Yes those ones thankfully I've been doing on my own, grabbed them on Amazon and saved the part numbers for next time. The guy at the dealer tells you it's time for a new cabin filter every time I see him. Probably wacks you for a couple of hundred for those as well Lol...
I don't think they look at the filter bc I replaced mine and took it in to dealership the next day and they recommended an in cabin filter change lol.

OP
OP

2Luckysat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't think they look at the filter bc I replaced mine and took it in to dealership the next day and they recommended an in cabin filter change lol.
Unreal, I've been told the service advisors get paid more when they bill us more... Like Ronald Regan said "Trust But Verify" Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts