Y-pipe debauchery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

14SWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. I would have bought a flow master merge and a universal pipe kit. Then welded it myself or taken it to a shop to have the parts cut and welded.

That's some boohoo shit bud.
That shop sucks ass.

Yeah thats is what I am thinking, cut my losses here and do something similar. I found a local shop that does custom exhaust with pre mandrel bent pieces and then welds them together. There work is very good from the reviews and the pictures.

Muffler back is fine, I mean there isnt much to have to route back there, but from headers to the muffler is tough to do without mandrel bending. Need some tight radii.

OP
OP

14SWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going with the local performance shop, which I should have went with first.

I think all the noise I am hearing is due to the crappy bends in the tube and its creating turbulence under heavy load.

I talked with the owner and told him my issues and he said he just had a new camaro come in with the same problem. Crappy y-pipe and was losing serious exhaust flow because of it.

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I can't believe they EVER let it leave their shop like that. Don't they have a supervisor that inspects the newbie's work before turning it back over to the customer?

OP
OP

14SWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I can't believe they EVER let it leave their shop like that. Don't they have a supervisor that inspects the newbie's work before turning it back over to the customer?

I am usually much better about doing research about places before I pull the trigger on services. I was in a rush and had a hectic schedule and didnt do my due diligence.

Dropping off the truck monday morning. Also adding a resonator as its too loud with just the magnaflow muffler.

Shop owner said he will be taking before an after pictures, so I will update this thread sometime late next week.

Last edited:

Sparky_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The exhaust shop I took my truck to thinks this is an acceptable Y merge:

_eshkMR3wIPe-0Eld2R1C-_bLvW0Ai1DDHkEHO7ZXx0=w604-h805-no

HYbaWU8vfE7_o018imvZDfNqek9RxFYluhPXI804Z8k=w604-h805-no

SMH

It a damn T, needless to say it sounds like crap when accelerating from a stop and bogs down as the driver side exhaust has so much back pressure and can't scavenge the exhaust

:wtf: HAHAHAHA!!

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am usually much better about doing research about places before I pull the trigger on services. I was in a rush and had a hectic schedule and didnt do my due diligence.

Dropping off the truck monday morning. Also adding a resonator as its too loud with just the magnaflow muffler.

Shop owner said he will be taking before an after pictures, so I will update this thread sometime late next week.

Better luck this time around!

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score

:sorrysign:

Looking forward to the after pics.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know almost nothing about welding and to me it looks like stevie wonder welded that

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

haha my dad who works for a welding company came in the room to ask me a question as i was looking at the picture of there botch job he took one look and said WHAT THE F*** is that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan