Y-pipe debauchery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14SWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The exhaust shop I took my truck to thinks this is an acceptable Y merge:

_eshkMR3wIPe-0Eld2R1C-_bLvW0Ai1DDHkEHO7ZXx0=w604-h805-no

HYbaWU8vfE7_o018imvZDfNqek9RxFYluhPXI804Z8k=w604-h805-no

SMH

It a damn T, needless to say it sounds like crap when accelerating from a stop and bogs down as the driver side exhaust has so much back pressure and can't scavenge the exhaust

Last edited:
OP
OP

14SWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ha, I'm so pissed, I cant even sleep, WTF.

I'm going in tomorrow AM and having a talk with them.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
image.jpg

I can't even see how someone would think that's OK...

OP
OP

14SWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was absolutely floored when I got under there to look at it. I knew exactly why the truck was running like crap under anything but light load.

OP
OP

14SWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to one guy first, he pointed the finger at the other guy. I talk to the other guy, he points the finger at the first.....

I expressed my displeasure and told them what was happening, told them what I would do if I were them, without stepping on toes.

Before I left they were already working on it and are doing it like it should have been done the first time. See how it is when I pick it up later.

OP
OP

14SWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They fixed it and it still does the bogging vibration/noise under hard acceleration.

I am still waiting for my updated tune from BBP but I dont know that it will fix it.

Low RPM heavy load (heavy acceleration) it sounds like hell on the driver side, like its being choked off still somehow.

Low rpm light load (low acceleration) does it as well just not as bad.

High rpm, high speed, (any acceleration) there is none.

What are some symptoms of scavenging problems?

Last edited:
OP
OP

14SWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It didnt fit at all, it wasnt even close. No idea why, i cant imagine they changed much in 2014, the last year of nnbs.

Its 3" all the way back, even though the tube is bent on a crush bender, its still bigger than the stock setup.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

here is the new setup:

nagmYcB7y642ZcErOfi_XgrpiApP4oie7tLFwMMRiM4=w604-h805-no

U4-hCA7QN_EStbPNeALu_mNks3doTmAZrJmltOArPHM=w604-h805-no

Two pipes over the cross member then merge into y behind it... doesnt get much easier than that.

The bends being crushed are still larger than 2.5"... cant imagine that is causing too much back pressure

Maybe there is leak somewhere and thats whats causing it? But again I would think it would be noticeable under any conditions, not just certain ones.

Last edited:

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I would have bought a flow master merge and a universal pipe kit. Then welded it myself or taken it to a shop to have the parts cut and welded.

That's some boohoo shit bud.
That shop sucks ass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goldwing2000