Y-pipe debauchery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

14SWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope to have an update week after next, to make things easier and less expensive I ordered the speed eng y-pipe(waiting for it to be delivered this week) and they will modify it as needed.

The y-pipe didn't fit originally so I went custom route and the shop effed it up. So now I'm at a different place and I wasn't spending 1800 for a completely custom SS exhaust. So this was the best altetnative.

OP
OP

14SWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is old y-pipe parts, going where they belong, in the garbage...

1YOnpRxsCIdrg9tGNTlD53KeuDjIfPo3-71SQglUksE=w960-h540-no

Here is new SS mandrel bent y-pipe, using most of the speed eng y-pipe:

xP-FziEvFp_0CutHugIxGoJ7_o56HaBvX_ufyxkwvtM=w960-h540-no

jbnNDSKgH4VizdrMtYRprj6NqSpbziHUcG-1rJ4PYFE=w960-h540-no

Resonator welded in as drone was terrible and way too loud:

egAKipGMuCBz44QiAZp7mUL2PeiBeSBbVmG18FsWDPs=w464-h842-no

Last edited:

ulakovic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks really good, glad it came out well for you. Question is, did it fix all your drivability issues?

OP
OP

14SWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks really good, glad it came out well for you. Question is, did it fix all your drivability issues?

Most of them but I can't get the y-pipe to seal to the headers via the slip fit joint. Leaks like a sieve, so I'm going to v band clamps and welding up the other joints.

Either that or I'm just welding up all the joints and calling it a day. I can get the trans pan down without removing y-pipe so I don't need to have the y pipe removable.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get so,e heavy duty aluminum foil. Tear off a 12" piece, fold it four times to make a 3" wide strip.
Remove band clamp.
Wrap the foil around the slip joint and then put clamp back on.
Now you have a gasket..
No more leaks.

Your welcome

OP
OP

14SWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get so,e heavy duty aluminum foil. Tear off a 12" piece, fold it four times to make a 3" wide strip.
Remove band clamp.
Wrap the foil around the slip joint and then put clamp back on.
Now you have a gasket..
No more leaks.

Your welcome

Interesting, good idea but I can't do that on a 2014 with a custom exhaust, needs to be "right". If it was 15 years old and I was just patching it up, I would go for it.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I agree completely. A temporary gasket to stop a horrible sounding and tune killing leak would be very high on my priority list..
It take yea a couple mins and be soo nice not to hear that leak. Trust me I know all to well what a leaky header collector sounds like. I hated even starting my truck when mine was leaking.

OP
OP

14SWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I agree completely. A temporary gasket to stop a horrible sounding and tune killing leak would be very high on my priority list..
It take yea a couple mins and be soo nice not to hear that leak. Trust me I know all to well what a leaky header collector sounds like. I hated even starting my truck when mine was leaking.

Agreed, luckily I have a second vehicle so I just don't drive it.

In the last 3.5 week's I have had my truck for a total of like 4/5 days... Right now it's sitting in the guys garage until next week when they can work on it. Fml, next exhaust I'm going flanges all the way, slip joints suck as far as I'm concerned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dnbri512