Would you buy your Yukon/Tahoe again?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember reading Car and Driver and Motor Trend back then and the writers whining about GMs cars and how crappy they were compared to the foreign cars, relentlessly.

And they were well informed and ultimately right. The cars were crap and all empirical evidence from that era agrees.

But sales showed that Americans liked their American made cars and the roads were dominated by GM, Ford and Chrysler offerings

Yep. People don't buy simply based on quality. Plus it took people a while to realize the 50's were over and American cars had turned into garbage. By the 1990's foreign car quality was well into it's second decade of producing materially higher quality automobiles.

Again, this is according to empirical data.

YMMV (your memories may vary)

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not at all, like all leftists and statists, they had an agenda and were unrelenting in prosecuting it. Another widely discredited and agenda driven entity of the time was Consumer Reports. The best cars and trucks were the ones they rated as the worst.

1990s? I'd take most any GM car from the 1990s against a competitor of the time. There's still a plethora of Olds Ciera and Buick Century of early 1990s vintage still on the road. We had a 1993 Olds Ciera with the Buick 3300, one of the most reliable engines ever. Gave the car to a co-worker in need at 167K and all we ever did to that was change the oil. It never needed anything underhood from 1993 until 2006 and maybe beyond. If they weren't so small, I'd buy one for my children to drive in a heartbeat.

Well, you go ahead and praise the foreigners and I'll sing the praises of my favorite American autos. :)

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not at all, like all leftists and statists, they had an agenda and were unrelenting in prosecuting it. Another widely discredited and agenda driven entity of the time was Consumer Reports. The best cars and trucks were the ones they rated as the worst.

1990s? I'd take most any GM car from the 1990s against a competitor of the time. There's still a plethora of Olds Ciera and Buick Century of early 1990s vintage still on the road. We had a 1993 Olds Ciera with the Buick 3300, one of the most reliable engines ever. Gave the car to a co-worker in need at 167K and all we ever did to that was change the oil. It never needed anything underhood from 1993 until 2006 and maybe beyond. If they weren't so small, I'd buy one for my children to drive in a heartbeat.

Well, you go ahead and praise the foreigners and I'll sing the praises of my favorite American autos. :)

I'm not praising anyone nor playing favorites as you are. Just stating facts.

But we get it, you prefer 'alternate facts'. Thats a popular approach for dealing with reality these days. I get it. :)

Last edited:

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say I dislike consumer reports and the like (Today). They have always harped negativity on Ford and GM body on frame vehicles. They always complain it doesn't "ride as good" or it's "too high". Really? Well Ford and GM are the only two companies that can produce a real truck that can actually work. The foreign competition can have their nice ride all day because they can't tow anything or load it up because it squats like a son of a pup. I could give two flying craps about ride. If you lower ride height and soften the ride it loses capability and it's no longer a truck. These are almost too car like already as it is.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As of right now...Yes I would buy my Tahoe again.

I bought my 2016 Tahoe LT brand new last October..Just turned 18K miles which included 2 trips from Miami-NYC..So far just oil changes [Mobil 1 0w20] every 5K miles..Sometimes I use the dealer and other times I use my independent mechanic..It is the best vehicle for long trips IMHO.

I do a combination of highway and gridlock..The Tahoe has got awesome mileage out on the highway from day 1..Can run between 400-500 miles on a tank of fuel if traffic keeps moving out on the highway..A/C is always on as I hate driving with the windows down..In Miami Beach 24/7 gridlock any decent size vehicle will get less then average mileage.. I Always use 87 regular Exxon-Mobil fuel.

I do get the occasional rough idle [like some do here] but not enough to complain about it to the dealer..Every vehicle I have owned had occasional rough idle since my 1968 Oldsmobile 98.

As far a people here talking about getting the new 2018 Expedition I would not even think about getting it the first new model year..Ford is still have issues with the Explorer [2011-2017] with carbon monoxide in both police package vehicles and private citizen vehicles..A friend has 2016 Explorer and is having this issue..He is dumping it the near future.

Overall I think the Tahoe,Suburban and Yukon are the best looking SUV's on the road will be for a very long time..Much nicer then the new 2018 Expedition,Navigator,Sequoia and the QX80..Just IMHO.

I have spoken to at least over a dozen of 2015 plus Tahoe and Suburban owners and none of them had anything negative to say about them..I rented a bunch of 2015 and 2016 Tahoe's and Suburban's for long trips before I bought one and loved them all.

I have had Tahoe Fever since 2007..I should have bought one long ago.

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhh hate to let facts get in your way, but show me a Chevy 1/2 ton truck that had a million miles put on it with no major mechanical work other than routine maintenance. Because I can link you to a 2007 Tundra.

There are a lot of GM fanboys here, a lot of "I only buy American..." blah blah blah. First of all, the Tundra was/is the most American made truck. Toyota also didn't need taxpayer money to keep their doors open. So yea, there is that. Toyota also doesn't inflate their prices $10k only to knock it down after all said fanboys buy the new year vehicle in the first few months (thus killing resale value of their vehicles. )

I bought my Toyota brand new for 38 and change. I traded it a year later with 12k miles for 37k, and got my Tahoe at like 12% off. There is no way in hell I could ever do that with a GM.

I do really like my Tahoe and I'm glad I made the switch. However, the blind following of GM is sometimes laughable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jac1304

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Toyota paid me money in a settlement not long ago... for some issues they had... I think everyone here can get a lemon; but whoever the manufacturer is.....took care of the customer (us...),we would have a lot less to complain about, these vehicles are not cheap.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got to think the previous generation of These GM trucks were more reliable as there are so many of them on the road still and people seem to like them a lot. Could it be the engineering that went into the 2015 and plus models has issues that escape GM? Or are the prob
Uhh hate to let facts get in your way, but show me a Chevy 1/2 ton truck that had a million miles put on it with no major mechanical work other than routine maintenance. Because I can link you to a 2007 Tundra.

There are a lot of GM fanboys here, a lot of "I only buy American..." blah blah blah. First of all, the Tundra was/is the most American made truck. Toyota also didn't need taxpayer money to keep their doors open. So yea, there is that. Toyota also doesn't inflate their prices $10k only to knock it down after all said fanboys buy the new year vehicle in the first few months (thus killing resale value of their vehicles. )

I bought my Toyota brand new for 38 and change. I traded it a year later with 12k miles for 37k, and got my Tahoe at like 12% off. There is no way in hell I could ever do that with a GM.

I do really like my Tahoe and I'm glad I made the switch. However, the blind following of GM is sometimes laughable.

Good to hear this view too.

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Toyota paid me money in a settlement not long ago... for some issues they had... I think everyone here can get a lemon; but whoever the manufacturer is.....took care of the customer (us...),we would have a lot less to complain about, these vehicles are not cheap.
All manufacturers will have issues with something. It is inevitable. The difference between some of the guys here is they'll defend GM to the death, regardless of problems they're having, or other people are having. However if someone complained about the same things with a Toyota for example, they'd call it a foreign POS. That's what I'm getting at with the blind following and fanboy comments.

If I had a 2015 or newer with some of the problems these guys are mentioning, there is no chance in hell I'd even be considering a new GM of any kind.

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree gmc has the best looking SUV of the bunch. The new Tahoe never really grew on me. The 6.2 purrs great and the Denali grille looks good. but as we know looks aren't everything. Speaking of looks I really don't like the new Navigator either. The more I see the new expedition I like it... in fact I really like the new platinum max. That front end really sells it in my book I like the C clamp headlights they use and towing capacity will be 9300 pounds apparently, that's best in class, the Ford currently holds best in class towing anyway as it is today. I know of alot of people with Expeditions that treat them well that's why I am bringing them up in comparison as I would never buy foreign. Hopefully most people don't have this expericance with their GM and hopefully they run good for you all but there are a lot of issues through my reading up.

View attachment 182116 View attachment 182115

Wow... there is WAY too much going on on that front end...
Why didn't someone take the pen away from the designer half an hour earlier?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879