Would you buy your Yukon/Tahoe again?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duff87

Reaction score
Wow, I'm so surprised these GM vehicles have so many problems. My wife has a 2014 Toyota Sequoia that we bought new in 2014. It has only 40,000 miles but still after all these years we have had ZERO issues. And I mean nothing, at all. I just assumed that GM had "caught up" in quality especially with their $80,000 SUVs.

I personally LOVE the way the Yukon XL Denali (and Suburban too) looks, that massive GMC grill, the LED lights, the sound of that Denali engine. I've been planning on buying one for a while, however, like someone else said, I think the 2018 Ford Expedition may have leap frogged the GM vehicles for 2018. Expy has better technology: full stop/start semi-autonomous cruise, 360 surround vision (I still can't believe GM doesn't offer this in Suburban/Yukon XL at $80k- especially when they offer it in the Acadia! also the Escalade), more USB ports, rear screens that can play independently from each other, can stream movies from your phone or stream TO your phone/tablet..).

I also like the extra leg room in the 3rd row on the new Expy, and the panoramic sunroof-wow.

The other safety item I like about the Expy (and Sequoia) over the GM vehicles, is that Expy and Sequoia have head rests for all passengers, including middle seats in the 2nd and 3rd rows. Headrests are important for all passengers. And probably even more importantly the Expy gets better crash scores and rollover avoidance scores than Suburban/Yukon XL.

On the other hand, here's what I like (LOVE) about the GM vehicles: the history. You can't beat that history, longest running name plate in history. Also man those GM vehicles look great! Inside and out they really cannot be beat. Also I like it that you can order different versions of the 22 inch wheels. Love them all, and they change the look dramatically. With Expy Platinum you are stuck with one wheel. I still can't believe that.

Also, I haven't yet heard the 18 Expy, but the GM V-8's sound great.

I also really like the fact that GM sells a ton more of theee vehicles than Ford does. That says something. The market speaks with dollars and other people really like Suburban/Yukon XL.

Who knows what I'll end up buying. Even with that exhaustive list above, I'm still leaning somewhat towards the Yukon XL Denali, because it looks fantastic. But I will wait to see the 18 Expy in the flesh.

But after reading about all these problems with the Denali, I'm getting a little worried. I also agree that when you drop $80k on a car, the AC should not go out...let alone all the other problems people mentioned. I do wonder if some of these problems have been resolved by GM since it's been a few model years since they changed everything in 2015? But even so, I bought a BMW in 2011 during a model change and NOTHING has broken, ever!

If you want quality and style go with gm and just get an extended warranty and be aggressive with vehicle problems.... because 17 dodge and ford suvs/trucks don't really compete

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
edited down from a rant: idk that others "can't compete" I think they compete just fine other than in the looks department. I mean Fords Expo has 9200 towing capacity which blows these out of the water and it has higher payload capacity. I think the Toyota Sequioa "may" be a good truck as well but I just can't buy a non American truck. I do like that Toyota gives the Sequoia the pickup front end. Dodge you're right they don't have a full size SUV to begin with. I know for a fact fords 5.4 Triton is much better at towing than the 5.3 engine available in the Tahoe variant, it makes it look like a dog. That's why I always liked the 6.2 in the GMC as it has more torque. I'm not sure how the ecoboost towes but it's supposed to be even more of a torque machine than the 5.4.

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want quality and style go with gm and just get an extended warranty and be aggressive with vehicle problems.... because 17 dodge and ford suvs/trucks don't really compete

*citations needed

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score

...and when comparing to 18 models, GM will be behind in the Technology dept.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I'm so surprised these GM vehicles have so many problems. My wife has a 2014 Toyota Sequoia that we bought new in 2014. It has only 40,000 miles but still after all these years we have had ZERO issues. And I mean nothing, at all. I just assumed that GM had "caught up" in quality especially with their $80,000 SUVs.

I personally LOVE the way the Yukon XL Denali (and Suburban too) looks, that massive GMC grill, the LED lights, the sound of that Denali engine. I've been planning on buying one for a while, however, like someone else said, I think the 2018 Ford Expedition may have leap frogged the GM vehicles for 2018. Expy has better technology: full stop/start semi-autonomous cruise, 360 surround vision (I still can't believe GM doesn't offer this in Suburban/Yukon XL at $80k- especially when they offer it in the Acadia! also the Escalade), more USB ports, rear screens that can play independently from each other, can stream movies from your phone or stream TO your phone/tablet..).

I also like the extra leg room in the 3rd row on the new Expy, and the panoramic sunroof-wow.

The other safety item I like about the Expy (and Sequoia) over the GM vehicles, is that Expy and Sequoia have head rests for all passengers, including middle seats in the 2nd and 3rd rows. Headrests are important for all passengers. And probably even more importantly the Expy gets better crash scores and rollover avoidance scores than Suburban/Yukon XL.

On the other hand, here's what I like (LOVE) about the GM vehicles: the history. You can't beat that history, longest running name plate in history. Also man those GM vehicles look great! Inside and out they really cannot be beat. Also I like it that you can order different versions of the 22 inch wheels. Love them all, and they change the look dramatically. With Expy Platinum you are stuck with one wheel. I still can't believe that.

Also, I haven't yet heard the 18 Expy, but the GM V-8's sound great.

I also really like the fact that GM sells a ton more of theee vehicles than Ford does. That says something. The market speaks with dollars and other people really like Suburban/Yukon XL.

Who knows what I'll end up buying. Even with that exhaustive list above, I'm still leaning somewhat towards the Yukon XL Denali, because it looks fantastic. But I will wait to see the 18 Expy in the flesh.

But after reading about all these problems with the Denali, I'm getting a little worried. I also agree that when you drop $80k on a car, the AC should not go out...let alone all the other problems people mentioned. I do wonder if some of these problems have been resolved by GM since it's been a few model years since they changed everything in 2015? But even so, I bought a BMW in 2011 during a model change and NOTHING has broken, ever!

I hear you...I am in the same boat although I already own a 15 YukonXL I'm deciding between going with a 17/18 yukon or the new Expy.

Regarding the new expy, give it time they will have more wheel options. If I recall the yukon only had one true 22" wheel option when first released. There were previous year wheels that fit but there was really only one 22" exclusively designed for the Yukon, initially.

The expy clearly has the tech advantage but need to actually spend time behind the wheel before thinking it's a win over the Chevy/GMC trucks. I can almost guarantee you it won't have buffeting and vibration issues off the lot. lol

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you...I am in the same boat although I already own a 15 YukonXL I'm deciding between going with a 17/18 yukon or the new Expy. I'd be fine keeping the yukon but we've had a handful of issues and I'm concerned that it's just beginning. With that said, it is the 1st year run and I'd like to think that's most of it although it shouldn't be the case. I have a '11 grand cherokee overland that I've owned for almost 6yrs and nearly 100k miles and our 2yr yukon has been in the shop 5x the number of times the jeep has.

Regarding the new expy, give it time they will have more wheel options. If I recall the yukon only had one true 22" wheel option when first released. There were previous year wheels that fit but there was really only one 22" exclusively designed for the Yukon, initially.

The expy clearly has the tech advantage but need to actually spend time behind the wheel before thinking it's a win over the Chevy/GMC trucks. I can almost guarantee you it won't have buffeting and vibration issues off the lot. lol

I love the look of the new expy except for the 1980's oldsmobile horizontal brake light mess in the back. Not as bad as the tahoe's quad headlight ala wagon queen family truckster setup but still really bad.

Its incredible they can pull 450HP out of a 6 cylinder

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What all can you really need at 68k that would constitute "dumping" $ into it?

- Steering wheel issues...some say bearings are bad, other dealers are telling me it's the entire shaft. Either way it's ($400-$1200)
- Pwr steering leak with main hose. $900 to replace fittings and new line
- driver seat was loose and would shift (repaired under warranty at 35k but seems to becoming loose again)
- Main oil line was leaking but was replaced under warranty at 60k
- Rear Ring and pinion is singing (again). was done at 35k under warranty (dealer believes maybe the rear axle is defective given it's making noise again)
- Adjustable pedals don't always work (not even going to attempt to fix this)
- still have vibration and buffeting issues( have given up on dealer(s) and GM. I just make sure tires are frequently balanced
- Window trim panels falling off (but this isn't a big deal because this is normal with these trucks, lol)
- Front end is failing...ball joints and control arms are shot. Driver side is really bad but dealer is recommending I replace both sides. ($1,000 each side) (dealers claim it's common with these new SUV and 14+ pickups)

There are a handful of other minor things that have been fixed but these are the main items that I would not expect to happen all within 2yrs/60k miles.

Compared to my 11 grand cherokee overland (first year model) where in 6yrs and 96k miles, it's been to the dealer for a software update and a minor AC leak.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They were literally at the bottom of the barrel when it came to reliability when compared to their competition. Better than they were in the 70's I suppose.

http://www.carqualityinfo.net/reliability-durability-gpas/10-best-cars-of-model-year-1985

Not at all. They lied back then as they lie today. We also had Toyotas and Hondas and the first Hyundais and they were not as reliable, durable and certainly not as comfortable or affordable to maintain in the long term. They lasted 1/2 as long until they were wrecked or relegated to 2nd tier duty.

Here's one for you, the one they love to rag on the most was my most reliable car, the Oldsmobile 5.7 diesel. I delivered pizzas in that car and bracket raced it at the drags and traveled across country with it. 24 mpg city delivering pies all night and 35 mpg on the highway. Wish I still had it, awesome car, 1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham. My father bought it right after being nearly killed in his Isuzu I-Mark diesel by a drunk behind the wheel of a '73 Olds 98.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Riiiggghhhttt. 'When news is bad, its fake!'

I'll just leave this here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_consensus_effect

backs away slowly.

Nope, wrong context. I don't know how old you are but I was alive then and driving all those cars. Yeah, the little CRX are/were cool cars and kinda reliable (my buddies delivered pizzas in them) but they sat two people and were a low production niche market. Those Honda Accord's had to have their entire brake systems replaced/rebuilt every 30K, calipers and all.

I remember reading Car and Driver and Motor Trend back then and the writers whining about GMs cars and how crappy they were compared to the foreign cars, relentlessly. But sales showed that Americans liked their American made cars and the roads were dominated by GM, Ford and Chrysler offerings with their big torque engines and luxury rides. Not everybody likes cars built, appointed and driven like a 2002 or a DS18 but those writers sure thought so.

But eventually those guys swayed the Big 3 and our motors now, like these LSs, spin high rpms and produce less torque as a percentage of horsepower. Mileage is still about the same in many cases and in others its way down. Well, that's the law of entropy at work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman