Would you buy your Yukon/Tahoe again?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I'm talking about it shouldn't need this "dumping money in to keep it running" it should just run. There is no need for the dumping money part like these require and it gets old fast. Nobody I know with an expy has had all these problems take over their truck the only issue is some peeling paint at high mileage, who cares? That's nothing compared to this. They all are at high miles (like 150k plus and their trucks are in better operational shape than a well cared for 15'). Is this a normal GM thing that I'm not used to? When you go spend 80K on a new truck it should give you 200k of problem free service and these obviously won't do it. So disappointing.

You shouldn't have to start "dumping money" into any car or truck if it was built right until after 150k miles...
My '00 Yukon XL has almost 140K miles and it has had no major work done to it other than getting brake lines replaced that rusted through from age (and salt).

In my search for a GMT800 here in northern Michigan most of them were over 200k miles and in need of things like ball joints.
I got luck and found this one that had low miles and lived most of its life in Delaware, and had almost no rust to speak of.

I plan on buying another one of these when I wear this one out, just not a new one.

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhh hate to let facts get in your way, but show me a Chevy 1/2 ton truck that had a million miles put on it with no major mechanical work other than routine maintenance. Because I can link you to a 2007 Tundra.

There are a lot of GM fanboys here, a lot of "I only buy American..." blah blah blah. First of all, the Tundra was/is the most American made truck. Toyota also didn't need taxpayer money to keep their doors open. So yea, there is that. Toyota also doesn't inflate their prices $10k only to knock it down after all said fanboys buy the new year vehicle in the first few months (thus killing resale value of their vehicles. )

I bought my Toyota brand new for 38 and change. I traded it a year later with 12k miles for 37k, and got my Tahoe at like 12% off. There is no way in hell I could ever do that with a GM.

I do really like my Tahoe and I'm glad I made the switch. However, the blind following of GM is sometimes laughable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually the Ford F-150 is the truck built with the most domestic parts (85%). Tundra is only (73%). I believe the expy holds the spot as the most American SUV as well. I am a little bias as I've always been a Ford truck guy but I'm not a brand loyalist a good car is a good car. The today show has a study you can look up and the longest lasting vehicle on the road as of now is the Ford F-series for percentage of vehicles still on the road beyond 200k miles. I found it and attached a pic of the shorter list. Chrysler doesn't even enter the top ten... IMO the new expedition looks waaaaayyy better than the Tahoe. That being said I still think the Yukon looks a bit better. I don't like the Navigator looks either. Below is a link for American domestic parts content percentage per truck.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nyda...list-top-10-american-trucks-gallery-1.2695780

IMG_8288.PNG

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the Ford F-150 is the truck built with the most domestic parts (85%). Tundra is only (73%). I believe the expy holds the spot as the most American SUV as well. I am a little bias as I've always been a Ford truck guy but I'm not a brand loyalist a good car is a good car. The today show has a study you can look up and the longest lasting vehicle on the road as of now is the Ford F-series for percentage of vehicles still on the road beyond 200k miles. I found it and attached a pic of the shorter list. Chrysler doesn't even enter the top ten... IMO the new expedition looks waaaaayyy better than the Tahoe. That being said I still think the Yukon looks a bit better. I don't like the Navigator looks either.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nyda...list-top-10-american-trucks-gallery-1.2695780

View attachment 182214

Its pretty clear that if people are buying chevys that they hate america. SAD!

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-10-most-american-trucks-for-2015.html

shewstring

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a 2015 Tahoe LTZ and now have a 2017 Yukon Denali. Would I buy the 15 again, No. The 17, Yes. The seats on the 17 Tahoe and Yukons were softened up. They are what should have been in the 15s. Both the 15 and 17 had MRC, but the 17 is noticeably more compliant. Now, is that just due to it being a Denali or a change for 17, don't know as I didn't drive a 17 Tahoe as I wanted the 8 speed and 6.2 for towing my 5K# boat. My 15 had issues with the all the door trim falling off by 2500 miles. The 17 hasn't had any problems in its first 5000 miles. I had 28,000 on the Tahoe when I traded it in, but it did not experience any mechanical or powertrain issues.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^This is promising as we consider trading our 15 for maybe a 17 SLT or Denali XL.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2015 Tahoe LTZ and now have a 2017 Yukon Denali. Would I buy the 15 again, No. The 17, Yes. The seats on the 17 Tahoe and Yukons were softened up. They are what should have been in the 15s. Both the 15 and 17 had MRC, but the 17 is noticeably more compliant. Now, is that just due to it being a Denali or a change for 17, don't know as I didn't drive a 17 Tahoe as I wanted the 8 speed and 6.2 for towing my 5K# boat. My 15 had issues with the all the door trim falling off by 2500 miles. The 17 hasn't had any problems in its first 5000 miles. I had 28,000 on the Tahoe when I traded it in, but it did not experience any mechanical or powertrain issues.

Interesting. Where did you hear that the seats were changed and MRC retuned? I have a 16 denali

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree with this as I did notice when I was in a family members '17 SLT Premium that the jet black leather seats were definitely softer feeling than our 2015 and other 16s I've been in. The cushion felt more plush. Design is obviously the same and the subtle change probably wouldn't be notice by most.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not praising anyone nor playing favorites as you are. Just stating facts.

But we get it, you prefer 'alternate facts'. Thats a popular approach for dealing with reality these days. I get it.

Yeah, false facts. And no, I do not live in the land of alternate facts. You were regurgitating information that happens to be false and I know its false because I was there and or had personal experience with many of the autos referenced to. You may have the last word on this topic.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, false facts. And no, I do not live in the land of alternate facts. You were regurgitating information that happens to be false and I know its false because I was there and or had personal experience with many of the autos referenced to. You may have the last word on this topic.

You're welcome to believe that there was a vast conspiracy against your favorite brand. That's another popular way people escape reality today too.

But for the record, facts, by definition, cannot be false.

And btw, pintos were entirely safe because my friend and I both had one and we never blew up. Case closed!

(Don't forget to look up false consensus biases.)

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the Ford F-150 is the truck built with the most domestic parts (85%). Tundra is only (73%). I believe the expy holds the spot as the most American SUV as well. I am a little bias as I've always been a Ford truck guy but I'm not a brand loyalist a good car is a good car. The today show has a study you can look up and the longest lasting vehicle on the road as of now is the Ford F-series for percentage of vehicles still on the road beyond 200k miles. I found it and attached a pic of the shorter list. Chrysler doesn't even enter the top ten... IMO the new expedition looks waaaaayyy better than the Tahoe. That being said I still think the Yukon looks a bit better. I don't like the Navigator looks either. Below is a link for American domestic parts content percentage per truck.

View attachment 182214

Have you seen the frames on the Tacomas, the rust makes them look like Swiss Cheese