2007 5.3 year compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

tjoyce81

Reaction score
Thanks for keeping us updated and background.

So out of curiosity, what was the cause of your low oil pressure then?

And I just reread your initial post about the reluctor wheel not turning...did your crank...break??? I'm really curious about that part.
LOL, I misspoke about the reluctor wheel - I meant the cam sprocket (thought of it as a reluctor wheel - you can feel it through the cam sensor hole. No, crank did not break.

My oil pressure issue went like this.
First, I my dash gauge went to zero, and all kinds of warnings went off - but the engine never knocked or acted like it had zero pressure. It did this a few times.
This indicates a bad sensor. So I changed the sensor and screen that goes under sensor. The screen was a little clogged. It ran fine for about 2 weeks, but then the gauge went wackey again.
So, I set up 2, oil pressure gauges - one in place of the sensor, and one just above the oil filter (installed special bracket in place of block off cover). The gauges read different pressures, and they fluctuated (I forget what the pressures were) but the pressure was not zero. So, I suspected a bad oil pump or pump pressure spring OR oil pick up tube o-ring. So, I removed the pump and took it apart to inspect it. I did find 2 large burrs on the pump gears, so I just replaced the pump - along with the pickup tube oring (while I was in there I replaced the timing chain, cam sprocket and crank sprocket - of which as it turns out caused all my current problems). This actually made it worst. The dash gauge didn't work at all now, so I suspected an electrical issue with the dash - lol. I drove around with the oil pressure alarm going off for about a week - and the engine never knocked or hesitated.
So, I studied the oil system on the LS engine with the AFM system. The AFM system needs high pressure when it is activated - BUT when it is NOT activated the oil pressure needs somewhere to "dump" as the oil pump spring stabilizes the pressure. That is what the oil pan oil pressure relief valve does. It dumps excess pressurized oil into the pan - so the system is not over pressurized during the time it takes for the pumps spring to stabilize.
So - I removed the pan, and just deleted the pressure relief valve in the pan - and my oil pressure problem was solved. That was 150000 miles ago...
I didn't get the engine out yet - but I did remove the Valley cover - and every thing actually looks good of what lifters and cam lobes I can see.
I will update as I tear it down.

OP
OP
T

tjoyce81

Reaction score
I always worry about replacing parts cause I'm there. it's hard not to, but I've seen things fixed until they are broken so many times.

either bad parts, or just bad luck. it's always annoying.

I broke a crank once right behind the timing gear. it was at hi rpm, but it bent every single valve over and jammed it into the head. hopefully yours is way less drastic than that one was.
I can say with a high degree of certainty, that IF i did NOT change the timing chain stuff - I would still be driving my Tahoe today - with a fully functioning AFM system and 359000 miles on it.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@tjoyce81 Thats a hard thought. Because you didn’t neglect the timing chain you are punished for it… might have been better off neglecting it.

I put a new melling timing chain in mine a couple years ago knock on wood.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can say with a high degree of certainty, that IF i did NOT change the timing chain stuff - I would still be driving my Tahoe today - with a fully functioning AFM system and 359000 miles on it.
There is growing consensus on the LS1tech forum over the past decade that the bowtie-style dampener is the better choice - at least when there is no VVT (I don't know what the risks would be of using the bowtie dampener on an engine with active VVT). Engine builders are seeing lots of failed tensioners:

Edit: In doing more reading, it looks like the VVT guys are also preferring to use the bowtie dampener:

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tjoyce81

Reaction score
There is growing consensus on the LS1tech forum over the past decade that the bowtie-style dampener is the better choice - at least when there is no VVT (I don't know what the risks would be of using the bowtie dampener on an engine with active VVT). Engine builders are seeing lots of failed tensioners:

Edit: In doing more reading, it looks like the VVT guys are also preferring to use the bowtie dampener:

My engine does not have VVT, it has AFM - 2 very different systems.

OP
OP
T

tjoyce81

Reaction score
Well, here is the damage, and my opinion on what happened.
Chain tensioner bracket broke, causing the chain to break. Cam stopped but the crank didn't.
Just one exhaust valve bent, and that valves' pushrod and rocker arm have slight grind marks (where the rocker and pushrod meet). However, no pushrod is bent.
All other parts of this engine with 350000+ miles are in just about perfect shape.
AFM system never failed. Cam bearings show the milage, but Cam shaft is perfect.
ALL of the AFM and regular lifters function, and are perfect being ran for 350000 miles.
Main bearing clearance is .002, and rod bearing is .0015 - show no signs of wear.
One piston has a slight exhaust valve contact mark, but the rest of them are good.
One important thing that stands out to me is the valve seals. They are seriously worn.
After all this milage that is probably expected. BUT, can this be a lesson as to replace the valve seals every 100000 miles or so? Can doing so, save some of the tarnish build up inside of the engine? Also, can doing so help the function of AFM/DOD? Questions may be worth answering for somebody who just wants what the factory designed...just an extra thought.

In closing, IMO, and based upon my first experience with AFM -
All of the anti AFM/DOD system hype that is put on the internet may have hidden truths that may not be mentioned when AFM/DOD is trashed.
Are the systems that fail properly maintained?
Is the oil and filter changed 3000 miles religiously?
Is there an after market air intake system that can introduce air filter oil into the intake system?

These are just my thoughts on the AFM system in my engine. Of which I'm deleting (LOL) but never the less the proof is in what my eyes see.
My engine oil and filter has been changed every 3000 miles (since I purchased it with 95000 on it)
AFM system worked as it should with NO issues what so ever.
Filter is Purolator BOSS, Oil is Quakerstate Ultimate Durability (dexo stuff) full synthetic - green bottle with gold label. 5w30.

Thanks again to everyone! The knowledge here is more than I can ask for.

Attachments

• lifter1.jpg
    lifter1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 3
  • lifter2.jpg
    lifter2.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 3
  • chain in pan.jpg
    chain in pan.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 3
  • chain damper.jpg
    chain damper.jpg
    616.3 KB · Views: 3

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW! Just ... WOW!

The condition and bearing clearances is remarkable!

You are probably about DOD AFM being overblown; you only hear about the bad ones. I suspect some of those cases is after vehicle having multiple owners down the road and someone didn't do proper maintenance.

What are your plans for the engine? How do the cylinders look? Any measurements for diameter, taper, etc. on that? Maybe just ball hone for cylinders?

OP
OP
T

tjoyce81

Reaction score
WOW! Just ... WOW!

The condition and bearing clearances is remarkable!

You are probably about DOD AFM being overblown; you only hear about the bad ones. I suspect some of those cases is after vehicle having multiple owners down the road and someone didn't do proper maintenance.

What are your plans for the engine? How do the cylinders look? Any measurements for diameter, taper, etc. on that? Maybe just ball hone for cylinders?
The cylinders look perfect. Cross hatch is equally visible on all of them. No ridge, or vertical scuff marks. Rings are good, spin freely in piston. Piston skirt coating is rubbed off, but that is supposed to happen.
BUT, I never go by eye. I'll measure next week, then send it to machine shop for them to measure.
IF our measurements coincide with each other - I'll take it from there - but probably a light hone and a good hot parts cleaner wash cycle or two - some paint and away we go.
Plans are to rebuild this engine - but as far as it going back in my Tahoe - I may still swap a 6.0 into my Tahoe. That idea came from this thread. LOL

One thing that WILL NEVER happen too me again - is a Melling Timing Chain or Melling timing component will NEVER fail me again! I'LL NEVER LET THAT HAPPEN AGAIN!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz